_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-62 Trumpeter
dylans
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 12:15 AM UTC
well i almost got it finished this weekend, the only thing stopping me were the crappy kit tracks. and after messing around with them for a few hours, I threw in the towel and decided to pick up a set of fruil tracks from my local hobby pusher.

the kit os OOB. no aftermarket is really needed other than the tracks. it comes with a turned aluminum barrel and some nice P.E. grills for the engine. heck even the kit decals were usable.
painted with Tamiya and Valejo paints. A wash of oils and spray of dust rounded out the weathering.

I am not too sure about the spotlights, i dont know if they should be like headlights or blacked out infared lights. I thought i would try my hand at adding a figure to the tank. i think it turned out ok considering i havent even tried to do one in about 15 years.

as usual constructive criticism is always welcome.

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 12:41 AM UTC
Well, in my opinion Trumpeter tracks are quite good. Maybe it could be boring remove the ejector pin marks, but as far as I remember, they don't seem incorrect

Anyway, you did a very good work, congrats

You said you used Tamiya and Valejo paints. What colors?

The figure looks very nice. Where did you get it?

Thaks for sharing

Cheers
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 12:48 AM UTC
Superb job Dylan. I've done this kit myself. I replaced the tracks with Fruils- I always do for tracks that need that realistic sag. Plus they are fantastic for weathering.

Perhaps some grime streaks and some more discoloration over the engine grilles? Thats all I can say really- the build and painting is fantastic- plus the figure is nice too.
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
Nice looking model. About the tracks, what set did you buy? The kit come with RMSh tracks which were T-72 tracks that were retro fitted to T-55 and 62s. If you followed the instructions then you put on the modified sprockets designed for the RMSh tracks (which looks like you did) so if you bought Friul T-55/62 OMSh tracks they will not fit. All is not lost though as Trumpeter included the older sprocket in the kit as well so you can just swap it out. If you bought Friul T-72 tracks then you should be fine. Again nice job on the model.

Roy
dylans
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 09:03 AM UTC
thanks everyone
the problem with the tracks is that they kept falling apart. there is no way to keep them together while glueing them to the sprocket etc. even with a coat of paint there is just not enough friction to keep them together. the detail is perfectly fine.

and it seems i will be going back to the hobbyshop later this week for some T-72 tracks. as i bought the T-55/62 set.

Mauro: I used a mix of Tamiya nato green and Valejo olive green for the base colour then modulated it with black and white for the shading.

the figure is from tamiya

_GOTOTOP