_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Rotobuggy classification on Forum??
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 08:00 AM UTC
Hay guy's I have bean work on The Rotabuggy AKA Flying Jeep. An I wanted to post some of my work here but it's not realy or fully an armor peace. So is this somthing that can be posted here?

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
Well, I certainly can't speak for anyone besides myself, but I'd be interested in your project. I think it falls into a "gray area," being neither areal "wingy-thingy" nor a classic armor model, so I can't imagine anyone beating you up (metaphorically speaking) too bad over posting your Rotobuggy here.

So, FWIW, I say, "Post away!"
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 10:11 AM UTC
Fascinating vehicle. I have a folder on my computer dedicated to it. Would like to see your model.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC
I would say it belongs here, as it was designed to glide to the ground. I think it falls into the same category as the amtrack and DUKW, which were amphibious, but still designed to use on solid ground. I would love to see this in kit form.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 04:28 PM UTC
It's a Jeep, 'nuff said Now bring on the build log!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 04:55 PM UTC
Cap;

Wow. Talk about something kinda surreal! Someone displayed a build of one of these things at the Baton Rouge model show today! Talk coincidence and / or planetary alignment and / or a small world! First time I ever saw one of these on a show table, and first time ever met it in a model-site (not, you understand, that I have many years either in shows or visiting modeling sites...)! And here you are, threading-up on this, and you are also an LA'er. Wow!

At least I can say I know what this thingee is (was)!

As the man prior said: "It's a Jeep"! (OK, one with a few extra bits hung about)

So bring on the build pics, already! I'm ready to look at 'em!

Bob
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 08:00 PM UTC
Wherever you'll post it, I WANT TO FOLLOW THIS BUILD...
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 09:24 PM UTC
Ok so the Build Log starts now.. I have started with a Tamiya 1/35 US Army Willys Jeep MB. Now my build with be of the fiest test vehicle., not the later one wiht the front wind screen and doors.
Ok I started adding chassis and engine bay details.

Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 09:26 PM UTC
Some bits....

Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC
More to come guys and girs.

Here's the painted chassis. I used a dark wash the add some weathering detail as well.
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 09:33 PM UTC

This is beyond excellent

Sven.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 07:23 AM UTC
Thanks "SHarjacek" here's more...

Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 07:26 AM UTC
Sorry for the finger smudge on the hood' I'm going to sand it down to fix.
Oh and I misspelled the name ot this thing. It's the British Rotabuggy. "Rotabuggy" with and "a" not and "o".

The rear wing flaps are sheet brass cut to shape.

More to come...
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 01:45 PM UTC
Stellar work, especially in the engine bay! Nice job on roughing out the fueselage, that looks like some really thick styrene.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 07:07 PM UTC
Thanks and it is thick .030 sheet. I use it because it was stronger than .020 or .015., but it's not as heavy as you mite think.

Now at this point It's not fully finish yet. I have mor decals to add.

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 07:22 PM UTC
A stunning job indeed!

Do you have dimensional drawings of the fuselage?

It would be nice try to reproduce this odd jeep

cheers
BLACKWATER
Visit this Community
Yunnan, China / 简体
KitMaker: 449 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 02:07 AM UTC
For this amazing creativity, cheers
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:11 PM UTC
Thanks guys I'm sorry I don't have any dimensional drawings, but for a buck or two I can come up with some.
You know it would be nice to come up with a resin conversion kit.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:40 PM UTC
Yes that's true

It would be very nice a resin converson.

Why don't you try to find someone who would be interested in its production?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you have dimensional drawings of the fuselage?

Well, the drawing at the beginning of this thread can be used, along with knowing the wheelbase of a Jeep, to work out the dimensions and to get a good idea of the shape. If the Camptain lets us know what book the images are from, you should be able to work out the rest.

Speaking of shape, as nice as this model is, the rotor mount seems a bit too short for thefuselage. There needs to be a fair amount of room under the rotor to allow it to tilt back enough to provide the lift to fly the vehicle. The tail fins also lack the airfoil shape visible in the drawings.

Also, this is a towed autogyro, and you can see the tow cable framework in the photos.

Lastly, the support framework for the rotor doesn't extend outside the fuselage, which also need a windscreen.

You've done such a nice job on the basic Jeep that I hate to see it the conversion not achive the to the same standard of detail.

Paul
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hay "Paul Roberts" you stated: the rotor mount seems a bit too short for thefuselage. No the Fuselage is to tall the rotor mount.

You stated: The tail fins also lack the airfoil shape visible in the drawings. True but not visible in the photos of the real thing.

You stated: Also, this is a towed autogyro, and you can see the tow cable framework in the photos., But it looks as if you didn't read my post. I said I'm not finish or done with this project yet.

An in this statement: You've done such a nice job on the basic Jeep that I hate to see it the conversion not achive the to the same standard of detail. I'm lost

Did you mean: You've done such a nice job on the basic build of the Jeep, that I would hate to see, the conversion not achive the same standard of detail. Not that I get.

You stated: which also need a windscreen. Really? If I were to build the later version, I would need a windscreen. As I have stated I'm builing the first Proto type. Witch didn't have a windscreen.

Hay "Paul Roberts" should I go through this forum and look for some of your on-going projects and point out all you goofs as you have done here. With an unfinished project.

All my photo don't come from any books I get all my info ande photos from the net,web you know the internet, the "World wide web" said by optimus prime!

I'm on a project search guys..... bye!:-H
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hay "Paul Roberts" you stated: the rotor mount seems a bit too short for thefuselage. No the Fuselage is to tall the rotor mount.

You've missed my point. There isn't enough space under the rotor and above the fuselage for the tilting of the autogyro mechanism.

Quoted Text

You stated: The tail fins also lack the airfoil shape visible in the drawings. True but not visible in the photos of the real thing.

Looking at the photos you've provided, I disagree, I can see indications of the airfoil shape. Also, you also have to consider that fact that a plain flat plate of anything as thin as a .030 (or even .060" ) sheet is only 1 (or 2) inches thick and not thick enough to actually resist the side loads on a surface in an airflow.

Quoted Text

You stated: Also, this is a towed autogyro, and you can see the tow cable framework in the photos., But it looks as if you didn't read my post. I said I'm not finish or done with this project yet.

I did, but assumed (silly me) that once the paint is on and thedecals are the things you mention that you need to complete, that the building is done. I apologise for misunderstanding.

Quoted Text

An in this statement: You've done such a nice job on the basic Jeep that I hate to see it the conversion not achive the to the same standard of detail. I'm lost

Did you mean: You've done such a nice job on the basic build of the Jeep, that I would hate to see, the conversion not achive the same standard of detail. Not that I get.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. The basic jeep displays real skill and the conversion looks somewhat slapdash in comparison to the other work you've done.

Quoted Text

You stated: which also need a windscreen. Really? If I were to build the later version, I would need a windscreen. As I have stated I'm builing the first Proto type. Witch didn't have a windscreen.

I'm sorry, but, again, looking at the photos you provide, I see both doors, the later style fins and indications of a windscreen in all three shots. Your model also has the later fins as the early fins are smaller, more rounded and have a pronounced rib pattern (per your own drawing). Seeing the later fin, it certainly appears that you were building th elater version (people can change their minds). However, if you are building the earlier version, then you need to change the fins.

Quoted Text

Hay "Paul Roberts" should I go through this forum and look for some of your on-going projects and point out all you goofs as you have done here. With an unfinished project.

There are several of my projects on this site, you are welcome to both look at them and comment on them. I have no illlusions about my work being perfect, far from it. But I also know no-one else's work is perfect, either. This is a cool conversion, but as I stated, the conversion portion simply doesn't match up with the skill shown in the basic kit.

My point with these comments was not to poke you in the eye, but to point out inconsistencies that a skilled modeller could fix before the project was completed. These are inconsistencies that I spotted using the photos & drawings you have provided yourself.

Quoted Text

All my photo don't come from any books I get all my info ande photos from the net,web you know the internet, the "World wide web" said by optimus prime!

Well, that's a darn shame because if you actually had books in addition to your internet research, you might develop a deeper understanding of your subjects. Which is never a bad thing.

Still, it's your model. Build it as you like...

Paul
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 01:25 PM UTC
"tankmodeler" I have one word for you "NUTS".
I built this thing in two weeks for a local show on the 14. At that time the Theme of the show was the "worst ever". That's why it may have some goofs on it. I realy don't care if it's just rignt.
An I can't find any thing that you have built. When I search you name I get nothing.

Oh and just because paint in on a thing. That don't mean it's done. I only have a "P" on the sides. I'm missing 4 more decals or markings.

An no I didn't miss your point on the ((fuselage)) you missed my point not once but twice. let me put this in big words. I BUILT THE FUSELAGE TO BIG/HIGH FOR THE ROTA BLADES TUBE CHASSIS.

I'm going to end this at what you stated in the last part of your post: Still, it's your model. Build it as you like...

Thank you "As I like it"
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"tankmodeler" I have one word for you "NUTS".

Again, I''m not trying to dump on you. I just saw that you have a lot of skill and that it appeared you could do a better job in the conversion. Take offence if you will.

Quoted Text

An I can't find any thing that you have built. When I search you name I get nothing.

Look under "my photos". You will find plenty of mistakes, to be sure. They certainly are there. Perfect, I am not.

Quoted Text

Thank you "As I like it"

Fair enough.
 _GOTOTOP