_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Filter to Use for a Tiger I?
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 11:22 AM UTC
Hello all,

I have a tamiya Tiger I. I have been wanting to try out these things called "filters" I keep hearing about. I understand that you need about 10% paint to 90% thinner. My question is #1, what colour for the filter would be best to apply to the German tank scheme? (the dark yellow, green and brown camo scheme) Also, is there a specific thinner to use? Is it okay to use acrylics for a filter? Pictures would be appreciated and of course any help as well. Thanks so much for help.

-Joe
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 04:59 PM UTC
Joe,

Filters work best when made from oil paint and mineral spirit. 10% paint, 90% thinner. On the German 3 tone scheme, you can use filters of Sap Green, Ultramarine Blue. Yellow Ochre. or Raw Umber to shift the tones.
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 12:33 PM UTC
Matt has it. Best to go Acrylics for base color as well -or- use an acrylic coat between base & filter.
Paulstradamus
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 04:38 PM UTC
Do you use different filters for each color of the camo scheme?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 06:01 PM UTC
A filter is used to shift the tones of your colors simultaneously.

Works just like a photo filter.

You can warm up your tones using anything yellow/orange or
cool them using green/blue filters.

Cheers,
Joe
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 01:27 AM UTC
Mig Productions and AK-Interactive have a complete line of pre-mixed sets if you are interested,but fairly costly when compared to mixing your own,but there is the conveience.

Their respective sites have some tutorials and Q+A also
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 09:11 AM UTC
Because you're applying the same filter tone across all the colours it helps them to 'sit' together better. I.e. all the colours will have a small amount of similar tonality and hence won't look as stark (or out of place) together, within reason.

Also the filter will almost always darken your paint to some extent. You can compensate by making your initial colours slightly lighter in tone. AND/OR as I do, use the darkening to add depth. E.g. a few coats of filter under wheel arches for example will darken it nicely and you can use it to gradient. You can even spray a filter to get a degree of colour modulation across your panels.

Experiment buddy, if it doesn't work out... learn from it and it'll be better next time
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mig Productions and AK-Interactive have a complete line of pre-mixed sets if you are interested,but fairly costly when compared to mixing your own,but there is the conveience.

Their respective sites have some tutorials and Q+A also

what he said I am rather new to filters,seems to me the 'The Filter' by MIG relieves my anxiety over mixing up some home brew and hoping it works.
 _GOTOTOP