_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4 Composite in NWE
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 12:07 AM UTC
I was watching a show on TV called “Normandy, the great crusade” I saw footage of an M4 Composite rolling through the streets of a British town in preparation for the Normandy landings.

I could read all the markings except for the bumper codes. It had ‘D 32” painted on the turret typical of 2nd Armored Division tanks. It also had its wading trunks stacked flat on the engine deck.

Does any one know of any reference on Composites in NWE?
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi John,

The only "D-32" I know of was an M4A1 small-hatch version seen in Normandy. (The Tasca M4A1 late kit has these markings.) Granted, 2AD probably had more than one D company, but I haven't seen your hybrid.

As for composite hulls, I don't know if the US used them, but they certainly sent a load to the UK as lend-lease.

Tom
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 07:24 AM UTC
Composites were used in the ETO by US forces on a limited basis. Photos I have seen are of the low bustle turret with no loaders hatch or pistol port. I think they were with the 6th armored division, but I don't remember for certain.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 08:37 AM UTC
Here are photos of 6th armored composites on Mike Canaday's site
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 03:20 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

Yeah, I know about D-32, “DERBY” in the tasca kit. Tasca actually has it miss represented as a 2nd armored division tank. It is a 3rd armored division tank. The arrangement of the tactical numbers on the turret are consistent with other know 3rd AD tanks.

I wish I had a way of capturing the pictures from the TV show, I have it recorded on DVR. It is clearly a composite M4 and its nickname is “DIZZY”. It’s tactical numbers are arranged like 2nd AD tanks. It also has the low bustle turret with cast check armor.

I’m just trying to track down a little more information on this vehicle.
 _GOTOTOP