Hosted by Darren Baker
Land Rover WMIK suspension
andrekidbsb
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Brazil
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hi, anyone knows what color is WMIK suspension? because I found photos whre suspension appeared to be painted with the same color of the vehicle.
Sorry about my english
Thanks
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hello sir.
they start off semi gloss black, and change and weather accordingly.
they can get sprayed as the veh if they do a wheels off spray.
hope this helps,.
andrekidbsb
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Brazil
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC
But I found some photos that suspension appeared in same color of vehicle (dark tan). What do you think?

USAFSPOOK
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But I found some photos that suspension appeared in same color of vehicle (dark tan). What do you think?

Pictures show vehicles that have been resprayed for combat operations. As stated earlier, they are originally painted black at the factory--all non-mechanical undersurfaces are black. If you find pictures of green vehicles, you will see black undersides. There are many vehicles, including WMIKs, that were not painted in desert colours, but remained in "NATO" green; that was a few years ago, maybe have more time to respray now. Notice in first picture and others in that series that vehicles in the 2003 incursion had sand paint overspray on the tyres--repainting done in a hurry!
andrekidbsb
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Brazil
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 05:20 PM UTC
Thanks!!!! You give me a great idea!!!
ferny152
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi

On a factory fresh (green) WMIK the suspension would be semi gloss black, as for one in desert colours the the colour would vary depending on how the veh was masked for spraying. This only applies the the orginal WMIK as the up graded vehs have compition spec shocks and springs. and where i think sprayed all over light stone as part of the upgrade.

hope that helps.
andrekidbsb
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Brazil
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 03:09 AM UTC
Ok, you help and in upgrade program i saw in photos some plates under WMIK, do you confirm that ied protection?
Thanks
ferny152
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
hi

Yes it is under belly armour, the R wmik is vastly differant from the origional as made by hobby boss.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hello Andre,

The Land Rover when built came with a green chassis and green wishbones with black springs. These rapidly chage colour when in use as we never scrubbed the underside. We would jet wash then but nothing sepcial.

The early WMIK would have been the same, the colours end up as black components as replacements arrive in black. I had a Land Rover with a new chassis (in black) as I had bent it by hitting something large and metal.

The R-WMIK was developed from the upgraded Snatch Land Rover, this program called Vixen had the angled armour plates added to the vehicle. These plates add protection to what can seem a vunerable vehicle but the purpose of the WMIK is a light vehicel for scouting purposes.

I hope this helps

Brian
USAFSPOOK
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Andre,

The Land Rover when built came with a green chassis and green wishbones with black springs. These rapidly chage colour when in use as we never scrubbed the underside. We would jet wash then but nothing sepcial.

The early WMIK would have been the same, the colours end up as black components as replacements arrive in black. I had a Land Rover with a new chassis (in black) as I had bent it by hitting something large and metal.

The R-WMIK was developed from the upgraded Snatch Land Rover, this program called Vixen had the angled armour plates added to the vehicle. These plates add protection to what can seem a vunerable vehicle but the purpose of the WMIK is a light vehicel for scouting purposes.

I hope this helps

Brian

Brian, You bring up an excellent point: WMIK was designed as a light scouting and recon vehicle, just like the HUMVEE was here in the U.S. and as such are vulnerable to IEDs. They were not meant to withstand 500lb. bombs or clusters of mortar shells being used as IEDs--not much can withstand some of these types of explosives no matter what they are! Adding additional armour, weapons,etc.,etc. turn these vehicles into something they were not designed for and will probably still be vulnerable to many threats. Just like we take fighter aircraft and hang tons of bombs on them trying to make them "all-purpose" aircraft. BTW, is the Legend update set for the Hobby Boss WMIK more for a R-WMIK/Vixen update then?
 _GOTOTOP