_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with Sherman ID
Dhuff125
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
I need some help ID'ing the Sherman model in this photo. I want to try and recreate this scene in a diorama. That's my dad sitting on the top left, they had just landed and were in Portiuex, France. And what is the cone shaped hatch behind the turret?

Thanks for any help.

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/359352/ppuser/28001
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 09:01 AM UTC
I *think* it's an M4A3, the shape you're referring to is the air deflector under the engine grill. The grill is opened up, laying over to the side with the deflector up.

Jim
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
Doug,

Like Jim says, it's a M4A3(75). The road wheels are the late "disc" type. That cone is the metal ducting on the underside of the engine grill - each half of the grill hinged open to the side. I guess they were doing engine maintenance before the photographer showed up?

There are lots of options in 1:35 for this type of tank.

Tom
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
I noticed that it's got the T54E1 chevron tracks and both the .50 and .30 cals are covered with protective tarps. As for the crew they are wearing the "shoepacs" which were not issued in quantity until late winter of '44 if I remember correctly. Looks like the weather in this photo is fairly nice, so I'm guessing this was taken around March, 1945?

It's a great photo and will make a really nice vignette project. Best of luck with this and don't forget to post lots of pictures of your progress!

:-)
Dhuff125
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies, thrilled that it is a M4A3 since that is what I found at Hobby Lobby on sale.
Does anyone know of any aftermarket parts for the grill assembly and engine compartment. I'm not a rivet counter but I would like to be as accurate as possible and would like to display the cover open like it is in the picture.
ProfessorP, the date on the image is "16 Nov 44". From the writing on the back is sounds like they had just taken the tank off the train. Oh and as fast I work on models look for updates sometime next year!
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:26 AM UTC
Make sure it's the right M4A3. This is the M4A3 75 W. It has the 75mm gun, but the later 47 deg sloped, large hatch hull.

Paul
Dhuff125
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC
The one I have is Tamiya's M4A3 with 75mm gun part number 35250-3300
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:42 AM UTC
Which kit is Hobby Lobby selling? (And in which scale?) It'll help us narrow down the list of AM goodies you'll need.

For starters, most M4A3 kits have the two-piece commander's hatch on the turret, where you will need the later one-piece hatch with vision blocks. In 1:35 the only M4A3(75) kit I know of that has it is the Italeri "M4 Marines" kit - basically an M4A3 with wading trunks that is mis-labelled. However, the cupola can be had as an AM part from several sources if necessary...

The Tamiya M4A3 (item 35250) has the correct wheels, but will need the new cupola.

Formations makes a lot of resin detail parts (including the correct wheels and that cupola) - they are on the web.

Welcome to the wacky world of Shermans!

Tom

*EDIT*

Whoops! Didn't see your latest post. A shopping list for the Tamiya kit includes a cupola and some T54E1 tracks. Not sure if the engine grills are separate, but if you have to cut them open you'll need replacement grills too. There are AM parts out there, but you could also appeal to the community in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum to see if folks have spares they will sell - most Sherman nuts have boxes of leftovers.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hiya Doug,
The Tamiya kit will work. As far as the PE's and aftermarket stuff goes you have a ton to choose from. It basiclly comes down to how much you want to spend here. Verlinden, Griffon, Lion Roar are the ones that come to mind. Look into those kits and have fun!

See ya in the funnies........
Dhuff125
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC
This kit does have both the 2 piece hatch and the single piece "late type" hatch as they call it.
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:57 AM UTC
This should be a fun project.
Interesting markings; it looks like the stars with surrounds are newly applied, possibly with new darker OD inside of the circles. Very noticable on all stars, including on the front.

Other things to try to find out; looks like a late commanders cupola, probably has an early split loaders hatch or could have later oval loaders hatch.

I know that there are a couple of choices for the engine compartment. Try Verlinden, CMK, and Tiger Model Design for starters. I know that I've seen someone with the engine hatches with ducting, but can't recall where. That will be a search on that one.

Whichever kit you start with, I strongly recommend Formations tools for it. All of Robs stuff is first rate, accurate, reasonably priced, and easy to use.

You will have to research the tracks. Probably won't be correct out of the kit you start with (seems they never are). Panda (again, available through Formations) are easy to assemble, if that's the way you have to go. Avoid the new Bronco tracks, as they are a bear to assemble (imo). Fruil are nice, but pricey and Shermans don't sag, so they have be securely super-glued.

Looking forward to postings on your progress.
Norm Samuelson
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:57 AM UTC
Does it? Mea culpa - it sounds better than I remembered! Looks like the tracks are your only major requirement! There are tons of other details you could replace on any Sherman kit, but that's just a question of personal choice and wallet thickness...

Please do post pics when you get round to building it!

Tom
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:02 AM UTC
Doug,
If I remember correctly that kit has the "solid spoke" roadwheels also, you can make them the "Solid" type as in the photo with some putty or get the aftermarket roadwheels for it. This, again, depends on how much work you'd like to put into the roadwheels.

Dhuff125
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thanks for all your help guys. I usually just build out of the box and so this is a new process for me. You have convinced me to move this up the build schedule to the #1 spot so I'll start soon.
The vinyl tracks look like the right ones but I've always wanted to try aftermarket tracks and this sounds like a good time to try. Norm thanks for the tip on the Bronco tracks since its my first attempt easy is good.
I've found some figures I think I can get pretty close to the same poses with a little modification.
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:43 AM UTC
Doug, Tiger Models sells the engine decks with the internal shrouds. Says it's for Tasca but you could probably make it work on the Tamiya kit without too much modification. You do know that with the engine deck open you'll now need to model the engine...

I guess I was a bit off on the date of your photo. I suppose they could have been some of the lucky few to get shoepacs very early in the winter. They were available but not very common.

This looks like a fun project. Sounds like you work about as fast as I do!
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:58 AM UTC
Another comment or two if you're building the Tamiya kit:
It's a nice and easy kit to build. Good start for your project.
You need to consider closing in the sponsons. Archer has a free download to do your own (I drew it up). Very easy to do with simple sheet plastic. Or you can get a set from Formations at a very reasonable cost. Again, simple to use. Makes a big difference to anyone looking at the tracks very close.
The weld beads on the kit are recessed. Depending on how far you want to go, you can leave them recessed (the Shermie police will ding you on this), fill them and make your own (through various means), or fill them and use Archer surface details (decals).
OK, enough of my dithering. These are fun and easy mods to do, and will add to your skill and satisfaction with your build at not much cost or time.
Have fun!
Norm
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hi Doug,

As others have said, there are tons of after market goodies available to build your kit to match the photo.

If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask.

Do you mind telling us what, Division, tank Battalion, or regiment he was in?
Dhuff125
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 02:30 PM UTC
Not at all John, 7th Army, 14th Battalion, Headquarters Division. Landed in Marseille with Patton
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not at all John, 7th Army, 14th Battalion, Headquarters Division. Landed in Marseille with Patton

I would go with a p/e set at the least, it should include stuff that Tamiya leaves out like periscope guards. I do hesitate to tell you this though but 7th Army at this point in the war was commanded by General Patch, and was part of 6th Army Group, Patton commanded 3rd Army in 12th AG. Patton commanded the 7th during the invasion of Sicily.

I hope that it works out okay, nothing like having a personal link to the project.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 03:42 PM UTC
You might also consider the following:

http://www.mcssl.com/store/formations/catalog/product/26e4e74b50b84c4fae7e1747818e664c

Those are the dished wheels, also

http://www.mcssl.com/store/formations/catalog/product/26e4e74b50b84c4fae7e1747818e664c

those are link by link correct tracks. I think that the Tamiya it comes with T-48 track, which looks similar but the chevron was rubber, not metal.
also

http://www.mcssl.com/store/formations/catalog/product/4b073d27b7a940efa30bad23bef946c4

also you might want

http://www.mcssl.com/store/formations/catalog/product/669546013d8d4749b567ae8f83b63115
and
http://www.mcssl.com/store/formations/catalog/product/9015c619faba470f9f756329575887ae

of course. you could just buy this:

http://www.mcssl.com/store/formations/catalog/product/c67e5cd4a98a4af8a14a33caa3e287b4

although I'm not sure what wheels it comes with.
 _GOTOTOP