_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Sherman color?
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 05:36 AM UTC
What would be good color choices for Israeli Shermans from 1948 to 1956ish? Would they be in whatever paint they were in origanally, or did the IDF paint them in sand/tan? (Model Master colors would be helpful)

Thanks
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 06:31 AM UTC
I read once that the color was a "French" OD, whatever color that is. Given that the French were a huge supplier to Israel during that time, and that many rebuilds came from there, I'd say that's probably true. For new, you might try French Artillery Olive, although I also read the color faded rather quickly to an almost brown color. I used Testor's Field Drab to replicate this. I was not around then, so I can't comment on the authenticity, but I like it.

tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC
According to Dr. Robert Manasherob's series on Israeli Shermans, the early post war Shermans were in various shades of brown-green/OD. The OD being closer to the French OD which was more brown than green (but was definitely OD and not brown).

As he writes it, the sun & desert conditions would quickly damage this finish making it very shabby & faded, but, for parades & inspections, the vehicles would be painted agian in fresh OD. Even the OD wasn't uniform, being frequently diluted with several materials resulting in an uneven finish. If showing the vehicle in a weathered state, a faded and even more brown shade of OD would be good, but you'd need to make it very uneven, with the fading much more pronounced on the upper surfaces.

At least those would be my suggestions based on his books.

Paul
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
Thanks, guys.
Too bad they don't put the Field Drab in a spray. I might have to invest in an inexpensive airbrush set, I guess.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC
Wow, I guess I nailed it. You know what they say - the sun even shines on a dog's @$$ sometimes...

As for Field Drab in a spray, yes, it's a shame they don't do it, and the modern sand color as well. You could paint almost everything in the US inventory without fiddling with your airbrush. The nice thing I like about Testor's is that it brushes on very nicely, and with the cast surface of the Sherman, I doubt you'd ever notice it was brushed.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 03:30 PM UTC
Well, I've done 1/48th by brush......

Maybe I'll use one of their darker tans as an under coat. Hmmmm......
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 12:45 PM UTC
I have to say that an airbrush is never a bad investment. You'll notice an immediate improvement in the look of your models, for sure. I've had a brush since I was 16 (& I'm over 50 now), the same brush I use most frequently even now. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it really does make a positive difference to how your models look. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

Paul
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
When did the IDF start using the Sinai Grey? What color(s) did they use between the French OD and the Sinai Grey?

I'm just starting to get into building Israeli stuff.
 _GOTOTOP