_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter T-62 - Num Track Links Required
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi all

Busy with the Trumpeter T-62 '62 kit and I'm about to start on the tracks.(using the kit supplied tracks)

Does anyone have info regarding how many links are required when using the included tracks?

The instructions give no indication.

Thanks
juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 10:46 AM UTC
You know, this is changing ...
The original vehicle must be reported to the chain members.
Or look for a manual, such as the ZSU-57-2 (T-54 lighted, modified chassis) 90 different chain eyes (when the new chain), but this may be offset (stretching of the chain, and can not be stretched further), it can be 1 Is less than -2 units.
Also depends on how accurate than the original, in the model.
90-90 track links the original tank / side +/- 1-2. (on the kit maybe 78-81 links per side)

Regards and good work in kit!
Gábor.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 01:29 PM UTC
As many as it takes. YUp, that is the answer. It will vary depending on how tight you make them, how you set the suspension, idler wheel ets. You can't go by what the actual vehicle takes or how many someone else's build.
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 02:14 PM UTC
Gino is right. The amount it takes varies and never use the numbers for real vehicles. I place out enough to where is looks like it will be a good three or four lengths short. I attach them together with slower setting cement such as Testors and let it set for a few minutes then wrap them around with the gap on the bottom of the run. Set the tank down on a flat surface and carefully set the proper sag on the top. With that done you can set some links down next to the gap to figure out how many you will need and wether or not you need to tighten up or loosen the sag a bit to ensure a snug fit with the last link. I hope this makes sence. I don't have to do it much as I usually use Friul or other workable type tracks but from time to time I do use the kit supplied tracks and this method works good for me. Good luck.

Roy
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi all

Thanks for the feedback.

I've learn't from after market track sets that the number they claim and what you use is completely different and often the right and left side are also different.

juge75, thank you for the 1:1 figures and the estimate in scale gives me something to work around.

I like to have a ballpark number in my head is all.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 10:52 PM UTC
A brand new track is about 86 links but on a kit in my experience you never get the right look when using the actual number. So as Gino wrote, use the number you need for the look you want to give to your model.

And if you don't mind, give us your result. I have one in my stash. That will save my time cleaning too much links

Olivier
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And if you don't mind, give us your result. I have one in my stash. That will save my time cleaning too much links

Olivier

Will do
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC
Just finished the right side track and I used 93 links.

I tried to create the correct sag effect but not easy with plastic links.

If you didn't want sag you might be able to use 1 or 2 less links but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Going to leave overnight, then I'll remove the masking tape and fix any breakages.

Will post a photo once the above has all been done.
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 05:59 AM UTC
Used 93 links on the left side too.

Here is the right side

and now the left side

Baldeagle61
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi all.

I have a related problem. I did a test fit yesterday on my Trumpy T-62 and found that I was around 15 links short on each side. The kit instructions appear to indicate 92 each, so that was going to be a starting point.

I'm using Masterclub resin tracks and there aren't enough left, even accounting for the broken ones which I kept. Is this a known problem or are Masterclub just rubbish?

Back to the original post: I always put enough on to give it plenty of sag. It just makes it look more realistic. I have in the past found that one side needed one link more or less.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have in the past found that one side needed one link more or less.

This is to be expected with torsion bar suspensions. Normally the torsion bars are staggered from side-to-side, not aligned, so the the distance from the sprocket to the first wheel is different on each side. This will give different track run lengths.

KL
Baldeagle61
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 - 11:15 PM UTC
Indeed.

I first spotted it when I built the Dragon M1A2 a few years back. At first I thought I'd seriously messed up when I looked at it side-on!

Anyway, just ordered some more Masterclub tracks. Don't think I'll be using those again. A Friulmodel set would have been cheaper, which was what I really wanted in the first place. False economy!

Live and learn.
 _GOTOTOP