_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
white crosses on German Jerrycans???
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
Ola People

Today I was working abit on my Airborne Jeep and since the dio Shows it captured I thought it would be a nice touch to put a German Jerrycan into one of the three Jerrycan holders. When looking at pics of german Jerrycans and at the boxart of the Very good Italeri Jerry cans I wondered why these white crosses are on the jerrycan`s sides. I have always painted them without thinking if there was a special purpose for it. Is there a special Purpose for it??? or is it just to recognize a german Jerrycan from a Allied Jerrycan???

Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:54 PM UTC
as far as i know these white crosses mark jerry cans with the purpose to hold drinkable water.
so nobody fills petrol into water cans. thse would become useless for carrying water.
the other ones without special markings are for petrol/gas.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:23 AM UTC
Ola Guys

Thanks for this information.
It makes sense if you think about it

Thanks again for the answers

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:07 AM UTC
On a side note the US currently uses two different jerry cans, one for fuel and one for water. They are very similar but molded in two different colors of brown (dark and light) and with different handles so as to be easily identifiable. The water can is lighter with a single handle, while the fuel can is darker with a triple handle. Both are also molded with the word "Water" or "Fuel" in the side. Appaently this must have been a big problem in the past if the US Army wanted it corrected so badly.

Rob
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
We've had different cans for fuel and water for decades even when both were all metal. The plastic water can was in use when I first entered ROTC in 1982. It was black back then, but the esact same design. I recall seeing tan water cans for the first time when I was stationed in Germany in 1987. I also remember using the metal water cans in Germany for non-potable (meaning non-drinking) water only.

OD Green plastic fuel cans is a relatively new item, I believe I saw them for the first time in the late 90s. Interestingly, the tan plastic used to make the water cans is very similar in color to the tan plastic Tamiya uses for modern armor kits like the M1A1 or Bradley. The OD Green plastic fuel cans is very similar in color to the to the plastic Tamiya uses for their US WW2 armor kits like the Dragon Wagon or M8 armored car.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interestingly, the tan plastic used to make the water cans is very similar in color to the tan plastic Tamiya uses for modern armor kits like the M1A1 or Bradley. The OD Green plastic fuel cans is very similar in color to the to the plastic Tamiya uses for their US WW2 armor kits like the Dragon Wagon or M8 armored car.

Hmm, maybe the Army is contracting this out to our friends at Tamiya #:-)
 _GOTOTOP