_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Can we have a gallery please?
Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hello,

I have only been with this site a short time but feel its time I can ask a question about its structure.

WHy doesnt this site have a gallery section? I know that people post their photos in the forums.. and of course they are categorized, but why not a gallery specific area?

For example,. If I want to look at all the submitted build photos of a particular vehicle, I might have to really go hunting for it. Say I want to look at all the completed humvee pictures. I have to trawl through build logs or posts until I find them, assuming their finished, and if I want something posted maybe 1 or 2 years ago, I might have to go dozens of forum pages back. If i search for humvee using the search tool, I get too many results including news, update sets, or mere mentions in posts. Maybe the search engine could have more specific options (such as pictures, news, reviews, blogs etc)

It strikes me as odd that a site with so much activity/ contribution doesnt have a subject organised gallery on par with the forums. I know there is the "photos" tab, but I find that very difficult to navigate. I wish for a thumbnail gallery of completed models. especially dioramas as some of the names they get have no indication of era or subject matter.

What would it take to make this happen, and I am sure this question has been asked before many times.

I think this would be an improvement to the site (which is already my favourite modelling site)

If this already exists here somewhere ... excuse my utter ignorance!

Just my thoughts.

$0.02 (borrowed that , I love it)

Adam
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:38 PM UTC
There is a Gallery. Click on the photos tab and it'll take you to the Kitmaker Gallery You can use the search function there to find subjects such as Humvees

The Gallery does have it's limitations and the search function depends on people labelling their photos
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 07:44 AM UTC
What would be nice is if those (me included ) sent in a Photo Feature of the completed model after doing a build log, with a link in the feature back to the blog. And to keep the build log photos 'active'...very disappointing to finally find a build that I'm looking for just to be greeted with a bunch of red x's!

On second thought, it might be a good idea to send in the build photos for the feature, also...this way they are preserved and still have a link to the blog for the text/discussion.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
Aha, now I see the big reason for encouraging build features. That's a great idea James. I've noticed that those red x's show up pretty fast after some build logs are completed. Having them on file for a build features sounds like a great way to get around that.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hi Adam,
We use to have the kind of gallery you are talking about. But sadly the overhead of running it became too much for our server to handle. Even the current gallery is causing issues. This is why a lot of sites that do this are plain ole HTML sites (Prime Portal) as the sheer number of photos and pages don't cause any database connectivity problem for these sites. I will be launching a new photo system for users sometime in the future that won't do what you are asking but should make it a lot easier to find and post photos. Most likely it will have a tagging system built in so that searches for specific vehicles/subjects can be done.

Thanks,
Jim
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What would be nice is if those (me included ) sent in a Photo Feature of the completed model after doing a build log, with a link in the feature back to the blog. And to keep the build log photos 'active'...very disappointing to finally find a build that I'm looking for just to be greeted with a bunch of red x's!

On second thought, it might be a good idea to send in the build photos for the feature, also...this way they are preserved and still have a link to the blog for the text/discussion.

Exactly why I'm compiling a Feature based on my Sherman III build log! Of course, the problem with that is I actually have to finish a build to do it...

Tom
 _GOTOTOP