_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club Churchill IV AVRE Info
ruzzaa
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 12:29 AM UTC
I have the New AFV Club Churchill IV AVRE, NICE KIT

,Part P2 is included in the kit and is not shown in the instructions and the part is not in the Churchill III AVRE kit
instructions for part P2 Here

Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 04:34 AM UTC
Looking at those instructions, it looks like an optional fit.
It is there on the Tamiya MkVII kit so maybe it's a later upgrade.

No doubt Chris Meddings will be along shortly to help...
ruzzaa
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
NO optional fit, looking at the AVRE Photos and even the Bovington AVRE has it. for attaching the wading kit
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
Did someone turn on the churchill shaped bat signal

This part is on the sprue in the AFV Club MkIV Gun Tank kit that inlcudes the lower turret half. According to Terry Ashley's review and sprue shows on PMMS the same sprue is present in the MkIV AVRE Kit (which is hardly a surprise as it also holds several other AVRE bits

This is indeed part of the adapters for the deep wading kits attached to all tanks that landed in Normandy, on OR AFTER 6th June. Basically, anything that landed over a beech got the deepwading kit. What I have not looked into yet is where any replacement vehicles that landed on at docks after these were put back in service following german demolition also had them fitted

I would fit it personally, but odd if it is not called for in the instructions

NOTE, if you are adding deep wading stacks I beleive you should not remove the section of the bracket shown. this was removed when deep wading was removed because it impedes the placement of tools. When fitted for deep wading the tools were removed from their brackets

Good spot Geoff, I will certianly remember it when I get around to getting a MkIV AVRE kit (after I finish remastering new turrets for the MkIV Gun Tanks!)
ossie262
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
hi all

on churchill Mk 3 and Mk 4 AVRE,s and post war until 1955 still had the wading trunking available at any time of there life. it was a a Modification on later versions along with fascine cradles and dozer blades. even to have No 3 churchill bridges on the front of hull instead of SBG.
you can out of the kit build a Mk4 AVRE in Europe on D Day and, europe, Italian then post war UK including TA units. a lot of modifications which were seen later in post war actually some came in on rebuild . including metal fascine which showed up just at the end of european war.

hope this helps
ossie
ruzzaa
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 10:49 PM UTC
Thanks Chris & ossie,
Looks like its on all Churchill tanks starting just before Dieppe Raid of 1942.
AVF Club Kits are good but there instructions not always so.
I will try to find another P2 Part for my AFV AVRE III
Cheers
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 11:39 PM UTC
Not strictly speaking true Geoff. Afair number of charchills after Dieppe did not have it. For instance the MkIIIs sent to North Africa and operating under 'Kingforce' did not have any deep wading attachments, and these were manufactured after the Dieppe tanks

Also, post rework MkIIIs of the North Irish Horse pictured in Tunisia do not have any deep wading attachments at all (including the three brackets on the air intakes)

I think it is fair to say that there is a very strong probability that all tanks issued for the Italian campaign had them (all the photos I've looked at so far have) although you can also see several older tanks that appear to have survived from NA service and been taken to italy without them (Especially Bushmills, the MkIcs)

I'm pretty certain the fittings were standardised and fitted to all production tanks before (and probably in anticipation of) the invasion of NWE

Dieppe tanks seem to have had them fitted for the operation and I would guees that they were not yet standardised during production, and that this probably did not happen for a little while after Dieppe based on the fact later versions of the MkIII can be seen after Dieppe without them
 _GOTOTOP