_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
KV2 weathering
AaronW
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 07:07 AM UTC
I'm finishing up my KV2 for Op Barbarosa, The base is a dark olive green, I've done a black wash, light sand wash, drybrushed a dark khaki and then a dark green / black wash overall. This has brought out the finer details ok, but with the expansive flat surfaces it just looks kind of empty. I am hoping that mounting it on a simple diorama will help offset this effect but I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion for techniques to spice up a slab sided tank kit. I think it would look ok but that giant turret needs something.

Thanks
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi. See your point here, but of the photos I've seen of tis vehicle there never has been much, if anything, on the sides of the turret, except grab handles. An occasional slogan is about all, if that. Of course most of the photos in my books are of captured or knocked out vehicles. Maybe you could hang a tarp or some other type of material(s) down over the side of it. But I don't really recall seeing one of these vehicles in any photos all 'cluttered' up, so to speak. Of course that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Take care, sgirty
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
One thing you might try is some pastels in dust colors or a medium grey maybe. Put just a little on the side and then pull it down the side to look like...well, dust.....streaked from the rain. Make it kinda random maybe it'll help break up that expanse of green, but I would keep it subtle. Oh, and unless someone's done this before I would test it....just an idea!! I haven't actually used this technique per se.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
Here is an article on weathering a Russian SU. It's very complicated but it might give you some ideas.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/other/awpaint/awpaint.htm
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:49 AM UTC
Aaron:

I am painting an ISU-122 as we speak, which is a big slab sided Russian vehicle, so I know exactly what you are referring too.

I suggest the following for your consideration. Take your base coat color olive drab and lighten it by adding some white. Then lightly airbrush, (or dry brush), this onto the centers of the slabs.

Next, lighten this already lightened mixture, a tad bit more, and apply very lightly to the slabs.

The results should give you some subtle, yet perceptibable, color variations---that add some visual interest to the eye. So basically Aaron, you can spice up those slabs sides with color, without having to hang or attach anything to them. Just my thoughts.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Steve

AaronW
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:26 AM UTC
There are some good ideas for me to try. The amount of detail in the article is far to much work for me to enjoy but it has some good ideas that I will be trying. I am also interested in using pastels but I'll start a new thread in the painting section for that.

Thanks
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC
I know exacltly what you mean Aaron...

Grifter's suggestion of pastel chalks is what I would use to give the flat panels some "depth". I have used this technique with pretty good results before (If I do say so myself :-) )

I used chalk on my Nashorn for the effect he is talking about. Have a look and decide if that is what you are after.....you can see the effect it creates on the armor panels in the first shot. in the second picture, the pastels were used on the ammo box on the left, and the gun breech.

Jeff
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 05:21 PM UTC
I think MIG had a couple of articles on using filters and how to make rain effects. I believe the articles were in the missing-links site. The stuff seemed to be easy to do(somewhat). Of course, the pastels above look really good to me also.
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP