_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Before Building
Ideas, concepts, and researching your next diorama.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help please ????
mark6509
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi all,

I am just to start on building a new dio, but on a very large layout, first time, and not to sure what to do with it, it's in 1:35 scale, and I have alot of vehicles to put in it, at the moment I have got the following..

1x DAP Blackhawk
1x Apache longbow
1x M35A1 US Quad 50 Gun Truck Vietnam
10x Hummers, various types
1x German WR360 C12 Locomotive
2x German Railway Gondola Low Sides
1x German Railway Track Set 900mm
2x M1A2 Abrams tanks
1x M2A2 Bradley OIF Iraq 2003
70+ Figure's
and extra's like you wouldn't believe

I have come up with 2 different options, either an Afghan desert scene or an Afghan town scene, but cant decide on which, the scene will be roughly 2' wide by about 7' long, so any imput on this would be very grateful at the moment, hope you can help????

Thanks Mark
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
Wow! That's quite an endeavor! I have nothing to add but am interested in what others suggest to you.
stansmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 07:57 AM UTC
does all this fit what time period you are doing? anyway, sounds cool!
stan
mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hi Stan

It's modern time's, just received 4 M1114 up-armoured hummers, am being drawn to Afghan town scene, then can put 2 helicopter's in the air, not sure, got any idea's??

Cheers Mark
stansmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC
sounds good! and sorry no ideas
stan
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

am being drawn to Afghan town scene,

Hi Mark

If so you can write the Bradleys, the M1A2s and the M35A2 guntruck off your list...Unless you're planning to do a what-if dio

Not sure either about German WW2 railroad stuff used in 21th Century Afghanistan...

Frenchy
mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Frenchy

Was going to change bits on the german railroad items to more modern one's, friend gave idea, split dio into 3, 1/3 as a town and the other 2/3 as the start of a desert scene, and use as a check point, not to sure if would work with items i've got?? will keep what you've said in mind.

many thank's Mark.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hey johnathan,

You crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding......thats a lot to put on a diorama. Some things to think about.... We do not use the quad .50 guntrucks anymore and there are no railroads in afghanistan.......Minus that you could make a F.O.B.
or forward operating base in EARLY Iraq.....Why I say this Is the Bradley fighting vehicle has NEVER been deployed to afghanistan and the only abrahms are in possesion of the USMC. hopes that helps
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:45 AM UTC
I don't have any advice to offer, but I look forward to seeing it.
mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hi Frank.

Thank you very much, now that's got me thinking hahaha, looks like it's back to the drawing board again hahaha, I would like to use all i have but if needs must, then remove some items, hmmmmmm, Many thank's again, will let you know what i decide.

Cheers Mark
GSPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hey johnathan,

You said you got 4 M1114 humvees? if so you could have a staging area or large base....It would be a good Idea to also think of picking up the Trumpeter M1117 Gaurdian as that is what is being used for base security...Also you should think about making Hesco barriers to go around the perimeter.....

One final question.....What figures will you be using for this diorama
I am doing a dio that is inspired by the movie "Hurt Locker" so I know my way around Modern vehicles
mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hi Frank

Have got 'Hurt locker' on now, getting idea's haha, am thinking of the same idea as the film, i have got a few robot's in my collection, could be worth a try, got all kind's of figure's, from modern tank crew to special forces, most of the item's i do have are more modern time's, only the german loco and flatbed's are old style. Was thinking about putting new M1114 on flatbed's, as if being delivered to base??

Am now thinking of 2/3 F.O.B and 1/3 town, in Iraq.

Many thank's, Mark
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:29 AM UTC
It sounds like a really huge, unorganized dio that has way too much space in it. It is best to do smaller scenes that tell a story so the viewer knows what is supposed to be going on. Large dios rarely work because you have too many disjointed scenes and end up with a lot of empty space.

Also, as has been said, most of the vehicles you have together wouldn't be/weren't together. Additionally, the Apache would not usually work with the DAP Blackhawk. Special Ops MH-60L Blackhawks usually only operate at night at well. Suspending a 1/35 helo is also very problematic, esp. in a desert scene where there are no trees or poles to hide the supports for it. M1114s (no equipment for that matter) are not delivered to Iraq on train cars. Modern flatbed train cars don't look anything like WWII German ones either. Equipment is usually either flown or taken by ship into Kuwait (or Iraq by air) and driven north.

I think you really need to take an appetite suppressant and go smaller here.

Here are some ideas: A couple HMMWVs around a small desert village/house with troops assualting/searching would be good. Then you could do a small (relatively) dio with the MH-60L DAP inserting or extracing some Spec Ops operators on a mountain side. You could use the tank and Bradley together in an Iraq street scene or at a checkpoint. Etc., etc., etc....

mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hi Gino

This is why i was thinking of a town scene, so i can hide the pole for the heli's as they fly around, also make it, so the story tell's it as if the F.O.B was taking in new supplies and vehicle's and use the heli's for air support.

Just an idea at the moment, all comment's from everyone at the moment are very welcome, as i've not decided what to do as of yet.

Will keep in mind your comment's and thank you very much for them.

Please keep them coming, many thank's Mark
GSPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 02:11 PM UTC
hey johnathan,

Gino is making a good point. Smaller is better I have learned that the hard way. With the spec ops on the mountain with the helo that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the FOB you could do the korngal valley in afghanistan and outpost Restrepo....... From the National Geo documentary

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 06:38 PM UTC
If I may add my three cents, the last comments are in agreement with my opinion, start small for now and get the basics down before you attempt a large scale endeavor. But, that being said, don't let that spoil your drive and excitement. Sounds like you are fired up and ready to roll, Youza Baby, go for it!

A large layout can be complicated and may require a ton of research to keep it in line if you intend to be historical. If not, the field is wide open. But most importantly, have fun doing it and don’t let the drudgery of trying to complete it kill the drive, especially when you’ve been at it for a long time. I had a dio in the works for nearly 10yrs, research, parts, etc. Many times I was tempted to bust it out and skimp on detail and accuracy just to get it done. That can happen so you will need to stay focused or walk a way for a bit and come back again latter. Sound like you have quite the layout in mind, so get some reference pics if possible to keep you foucused and in perspective and let er rip!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Mark and please keep us posted. Maybe post a pic or tow of your layout for comment might help us guide or nudge you in a direction you may want to take. If you run into a jam, ask, there’s plenty of us here to lend a hand or advise if you ask for it.

Remember, have fun while sniffin paint and gluin them finger together!

Cheers, Ski.
Removed by original poster on 06/15/11 - 11:32:37 (GMT).
mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments, looks like the build is going to be in Iraq, as most of the items i have, will or should fit the dio in some respect. I have build some small dio's in the past, my biggest was a foot square, and feature'd a vietnam scene, hence why the gun truck, but never used it.

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

just a few quick pic's of a hummer i started some time ago, alot of the items in the dio that are not used nowadays will be modified or rebuilt, i.e, the gun truck.

If anyone out there has any good pic's of the vehicle's used in Iraq nowaday's, i would be really grateful if i could have a look, to get idea's.

Many thanks guy's, Mark
mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 01:33 AM UTC
mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 01:34 AM UTC

mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 01:56 AM UTC

I am going to change the doors and the turret's on this one, since i now got 4 bronco M1114's
mark6509
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC
 _GOTOTOP