Hosted by Darren Baker
Pegasus 1/72 SU-152 Finished
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 09:18 AM UTC
Greetings fellow Braillers! As the title implies I finally finished the Pegasus Hobbies SU-152 for my entry in the Killer KV's campaign. I did a build review of the kit and you can read it here. Running the BB Campaign and requirements at home dragged this build out. It's a decent little kit for the cost and normally shouldn't take too long to do it justice.

With Delta Ceramcoat (inexpensive acrylics) and instruction from my SWMBO (my resident artist) I did the final accenting and weathering. My "animal killer" is now ready to hunt and blow the turrets off any Tiger or Panther that gets in its path.

Comments and questions are always welcome.

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 09:25 AM UTC
Just hope it looks the other way when it sees my Elefant rolling bye, that's my first completed Braille build and I'm not ready for it to be decommissioned yet

I've been looking at this kit at my LHS ever since I read your review. I'm just not sure what to do with the other "gaming" kit that comes with it.
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

For a fast kit it'sdamn great and you have done a great job painting it.

Much more than a wargamer would ask (I guess).

Besides that, I have bumped on your reviews many times during my searches. You have my thanks for putting your efforts to inform fellow modelers.

P.A.

Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 09:10 PM UTC
@tread_geek-Jan,

Now that's a killer! Excellent job on the kit and weathering. I read the review sometime ago and was waiting to see how this monster was going to turn out. I'm not disappointed.

I may go out and get myself one of these for a quick build and store it for a rainy day and put it together over a movie and hot dogs. No modifications, just OOTB for fun! I may even go as far as posting it here on the Braille forum. Yeap, may just do that!

-Eddy
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 04:32 AM UTC
@Jeremy - Not to worry about you Elefant as the SU crews have instructions to try to not damage them too much, just incapacitate them. A place in the Peoples Great Patriotic War Museum is already prepared for it.

With this "twin pack" there are several possibilities. One done up in standard paint and one in winter whitewash would be interesting. There is also the possibility of making one a Beutepanzer as I have seen pictures of one in German markings. The last might be to use one as a practice piece and the other to apply what you learned on the first.

@Alexander - Thank you for your comments and they are most appreciated. I have followed your builds with interest and try to achieve the same level of finishing as I have seen in them. As I have stated many times, I just wish the outside of the tracks were better detailed.

@Braille - Eddy, thanks for the kudos, it means a lot coming from someone that builds as well as you do. With these little kits I think that they might cover a rainy hour or so to assemble due mostly to taking a break to have a bite of your hot dog in between pieces.

With this build I spent far too much time trying to think about how I was going to weather it and the techniques I would use. That Ceramcoat paint when mixed with an "extender" is manipulatable for a fair amount of time when compared to my usual Tamiya paints. They also get rather transparent when thinned to various degrees.

I have the second unit of the kit assembled, base coated and the track muddied. As of this writing I am thinking of either a whitewashed example (never done that before) or the Beutepanzer version. For the latter I need to find some larger black outline crosses.

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 01:01 AM UTC
That is a nice build Jan. Might look for this kit!
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 06:15 AM UTC
Nice model Jan, although, pictures don't do justice to your model.

Regards.

Pedro.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 08:42 AM UTC
@sabredog Thanks for looking, Michael. As a connoisseur of basic green vehicles I appreciate your comments.

@PedroA

Quoted Text

Nice model Jan, although, pictures don't do justice to your model.

It's rather simplistic when compared to your builds but for me it's always a learning experience. I don't exactly understand what you meant by you said above about the pictures! Were you referring to lack of depth of field, exposure too light or too dark. I tried to be a bit "artistic" with the pictures (and the camera was in 100% manual mode) to make the beast look ominous or monstrous.

Anyway, we had a rare sunny day today so I decided to move my "studio" outdoors. I set the camera back up to its normal aperture priority settings and used a 4X macro filter. Here are the results:

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:22 AM UTC
Jan, I'm surprised that you have time to sleep! What a fabulously evil and menacing creature that you've put together. First thing that struck me was how great you distressed the numbers on the hull. That extra large drum on the fender really catches the eye. What really floored me was the headlight in the first picture of the second set. I saw it in the other thread about this build and thought is was the kit part. Is it aftermarket or did you make it. The indents on the lens glass are so visible!

Regards,
AJ
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a nice build Jan. Might look for this kit!

Well I did and it is now sitting next to my PC.
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 01:23 AM UTC
Jan.

The problem with old pictures was that they had enough shadows so it was difficult to see the weathering. New pictures are more balanced betwen light and shadows.

Cheers. Pedro.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
@weathering_one - Thanks for the comments, AJ. With each build I try to refine or discover new methods of enhancing the weathering. It's still not where I'd like it to be but the journey should be half the fun. As for the headlight, it is the kit part but merely painted with the inexpensive acrylic paints that I have mentioned in previous builds. My resident artist used techniques that were taught at her recent decorative painters club to be used to create realistic looking eyes! The grill pattern on the lens format is actually moulded onto the front of the light. The process of having it "stand out" involved successive dilute washes.

@sabredog - Michael, I will be fascinated to see what you can do with these beasts. When I got my kit it was a "one of" at the LHS by a company that I had never heard of prior.

@PedroA - Thank you for your observation and explanation. While I was "experimenting" with taking the originals in totally manual mode, it obviously is something that may not be suitable for these small subjects.

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Jeremy - Not to worry about you Elefant as the SU crews have instructions to try to not damage them too much, just incapacitate them. A place in the Peoples Great Patriotic War Museum is already prepared for it.

With this "twin pack" there are several possibilities. One done up in standard paint and one in winter whitewash would be interesting. There is also the possibility of making one a Beutepanzer as I have seen pictures of one in German markings. The last might be to use one as a practice piece and the other to apply what you learned on the first.

Cheers,
Jan

Alright, sounds good to me then

I was just thinking along the same lines myself. I can always use more practice, especially in modifying and painting. I'll see if it's still sitting around at my LHS next time I drop by
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,
Jan

Alright, sounds good to me then

I was just thinking along the same lines myself. I can always use more practice, especially in modifying and painting. I'll see if it's still sitting around at my LHS next time I drop by

Precisely what I am intending. I want to try out the hairspray method and this is the perfect little kit to start with.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
Hi Jan

Great looking build and finish.

Glad to see you have lost none of your enthusiasm after leading the Braille Battlefield campaign, no one could blame you if you took a rest, but I'm glad you haven't

cheers
Neil
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 05:56 AM UTC
vonHengest - Jeremy, by all means these would be great little kits to sharpen some skills with. From what I have seen, most Pegasus kits in this scale come in pairs and aren't too bad detail wise. We even have a couple of 1/35 builders in our club that practice on 1/72 before trying the same thing with larger scales. Then there's the added advantage of less materials need be used and the finished result doesn't take up much room.

Korpse - Thanks for the kind words, Neil. My enthusiasm usually isn't the problem but the time to cater to it can be limited at times. With each build I like to try something new and if a previous one turned out well, it gives me more inspiration for the next.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP