_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72 question
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 04:44 PM UTC
I have the Tamiya T-72 M1 kit and want to build it as an Iraqi tank. I understand it can be built as such from the box. I am thinking about getting the Verlinden T-72 Update Set (#781) to go with it. Is this set worth it? I really like the open storage boxes in it. Does the rest really dress it up?
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 08:47 PM UTC
I can't speak for the Verlinden set but if you're building an Iraqi T-72 may I suggest you consider the Blast turret as it has parts specific to an Iraqi T-72. I have one and its exceptional and will be one of my next builds.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 05:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. I have seen the Blast turret, but can't justify spending $50+ for it on a model I spent less than $20 on. I will probably do it as an abandoned/partially brewed up hulk anyways. That is why I was intersted in the open storage boxes and engine detail in the Verlinden set.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 06:01 AM UTC
Gino, OOB the Tamiya T-72 is a E. German (NVA) tank. To make it a Iraqi tank you need a new turret. See the T-72 thread at the top of the list for links to proper ID...
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 07:24 AM UTC

Here's what you get in the Verlinden Kit,

The engine tub is a nice little simple drop in tub, with some nice detail, most of the PE stuff is for the turret bins (to open them up), a nice little mantlet dust cover that looks better than Tamiya's.

Not sure about the resin barrel though, probs best to use Tamiya's, rather than mess around with that resin job.

And yeah, the Blast turrets are expensive, just use the Tamiya one and sod the accuracy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Tamiya T-72 is a very nice kit, and looks good in sand.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 07:32 AM UTC
A question : What did the reunited Germany do with their T-72's ? Sell them and to who or keep them ? Thanks and have a great weekend everybody !
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 07:47 AM UTC
Best bett would be that they sold them. At least we have some here in Austria. Austrian Army tested M60 and Leo ammo etc. on them with confusing results

Gino, I used this update set on one of my T-72īs. The engine is a bit "flat" but will look nice once installed. A little bit of extra detailing (wires etc.) and its fine. To modify the storage boxes as Verlinden intends to do must be a pain in the a$$, I messed up mine and will use CMK ones at the end. They have a nice T-72 update-set as well. It includes very nice exterior details, snorkel, new hatch, new storage boxes which can be build open, fuel drums,smoke dischargers etc.

Heres a link with the instructions. scroll down a bit, its T-72 A1 exterior set.

http://www.preisroboter.de/ergebnis13361781.html

Regards,
Andreas
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info. I have seen the Blast turret, but can't justify spending $50+ for it on a model I spent less than $20 on. I will probably do it as an abandoned/partially brewed up hulk anyways. That is why I was intersted in the open storage boxes and engine detail in the Verlinden set.

The T-72 kit costs over $60 new, when you can find it, so I guess if you'd paid nothing for it.....?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A question : What did the reunited Germany do with their T-72's ? Sell them and to who or keep them ? Thanks and have a great weekend everybody !

At least one was given away, I was working at the IWM Duxford as a volunteer many years ago when they recieved one. Great fun trying to work out how to refill the air system so we could get it out of gear and then start the engine with all the information being in Russian (supplied drained of fluids and air), and that turret felt so roomy comparred with the Chieftain.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I think I will go with the Verlinden set.

Does anyone have any info on the Model Point MR RC312-1 T-72 AV turret ? Will it work for an Iraqi tank? I can get one relatively cheap.

I am not overly concerned with the accuracy of the turret right now. As I said, I will probably just go with a damaged hulk on it and it will be close enough.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 03:12 AM UTC
Model Point A turret should be good enough without the ERA.

NVA (E. German) T-72M1's we are talking about were retired very soon after reunification. There were 27 of them. Many were given away/purchased by museums, which is what Tamiya based there measurements on. Nto sure if any went on to service in other countries...there were only 27 of them, so not a lot. Also, Germany gave away/sold their "normal" T-72's as well.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 03:53 AM UTC
Several of the East German t-72M1's ended up at Ft Irwin in the OPFOR motor Pool there. I personally painted out several of the old markings on the beast's.
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone have any info on the Model Point MR RC312-1 T-72 AV turret ? Will it work for an Iraqi tank? I can get one relatively cheap.

No it will not work for an Iraqi tank. The T-72AV has the ERA blocks. Miniarm makes a T-72A turret that is as good or better than the Blast turret and cheaper. One side note, if you can get the Modelpoint T-72AV turret cheap snap it up. They are very hard to find and might make very good trade bait.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, get that, they are mega rare!

If you arent concerned about accuracy either then frankly you should just build the Tamiya kit ootb and do you own home made details. Because whatever happens unless you replace the turret it wont be at all accurate so it seems silly to throw resin at it.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
Gino,

After hearing what everyone else said, out of the box will probably do you best especially since you spent $20 on the kit. Based on your past work I'm sure you'll have no issues turning the kit into the vision you have.

On a side note I'll take that model point turret if you don't want it
 _GOTOTOP