Scammell Pioneer
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hi folks

Had myself a ball yesterday at the Military Day show, even though the weather was not the best. At the show was a Scammell Pioneer recovery truck that is in immaculate condition since its owner Chris took it to parts and refurbished it.

From his own description it was an easy rebuild having been kept running and in good condition during its long military career. He is gradually gathering together bits and pieces of recovery tools and equipment to refill the boxes to bring the vehicle back to life. There is certainly plenty of life in the truck as is with a pristine engine bay, fully working winch drum and cable, and bodywork that has been repaired with great attention to detail.

I was lucky enough to experience the vehicle on the move when Chris ushered me to join him and his son-in-law to ride in the cab to the exit of the show ground. Was great to get a feel how the crew would have traveled during their run through Africa and Europe during ww2. I could also compare it with the creature comforts of newer trucks that I have driven in the TA. Bedford MK and TM's were not much better though the DAF DROPS was miles ahead in terms of comfort.

Chris has offered me a chance to get a bit more time in the cab and I hope to take him up on the offer. Hopefully will get a good few more walk around photos and video of the Scammell that I will put up soon.

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 - 12:46 PM UTC
Got round to meeting up with Chris the owner yesterday and went for a road run around the Hillfoots villages. I have got to say that this has been one of my favorite days out in a long long time.

The Scammell looks and runs as if it just came out of the factory and every inch of the truck has been totally refurbished. Chris has put his heart and soul into the job and it shows. He is gradually building up the tools and recovery equipment to fill the tool lockers.

After about an hour on the roads we headed home and on arriving at Chris's road end he told me to take over and drive it. What a privilege !!!!! The Scammell handles very well but with all the extra leavers around for winch brakes and the like, no power steering, and heavy foot pedals to contend with, it certainly takes a lot of getting used to.

I now have a better idea as to what it was like to drive a ww2 truck compared to the DROPS and Merc Powerliners I have driven and would think it would be loads of hard work. Surprisingly comfortable with the cab position and very similar handling to the Bedford MK's and TM's.

I have taken loads of photos with measure sticks in place and will be back to take plenty more as my battery ran out at 80 or so pics.

Just a selection

All in all a great day out

Nige
 _GOTOTOP