_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Group Builds
Build a model with your online buddies!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Barbarossa Campaign: Sd.Kfz 222 & Sd.Kfz 223.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
Here are my entries to the campaign. Both about 95% finished. I plan on putting both of these into a bigger diorama later and dont want to finish the weathering until I decide where to put them. I will add some personal gear as well.
According to the decals they are Waffen SS, 2nd SS tank division, tank reconnaissace. Were these involved in barbarossa??
All points of view, opinions and nit-picks are welcome!

sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2003 - 04:15 AM UTC
Great work! Nice detail, and the weathering is great

Peter
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC
look very nice!!! I relly like the weatering work...not too light and not to heavy...well belanced
very good works
no critics from me
regards
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:15 AM UTC
Nice work on these 2 kits ! These have to be 2 of the coolest kits Tamiya has. Basic builds that are fun to make. Great job. I like the paint fading and weathering. Good job on the decals as well.

Cheers !

Robert
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hi Plasticbattle ...... Excellent work ! Great job on the rusted exhausts. I'm curious, about the markings, the insignia is 2.SS Das Reich, but the registration plates are for Wehrmacht Heer ..................??????
In answer to your last question - Yes, the 222 & 223 served from 1939 to the end of WW2, in all campaigns. Usually issued to panzerspahwagen squadrons ( Armored scout car squads ) of recon battalions in panzer & motorized infantry divisions.

- ralph
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi Guys. Thanks very much for your kind comments. I have always wanted to build a monster diorama and hopefully these two will be part of it someday!

Hi Ralph... long time no speak... where have you been hiding. I realised this at the time but the kit decals for both were the same so I only had one SS number plate and two Heer. Is there any possibility that Heer vehicles were taken over by the SS and their insignia used but the number plates were not changed? I know this is a long shot!

Thanks once again...... but I really enjoyed this campaign and I do love these little armored cars. Easy and quick to build and perfect for trying out new techniques. As for the finish ... Im starting to get to grips with pastels now, and believe they are best thing next to sliced bread! They are easy to work with and a little practice can give really nice results! Cheers
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
Frank---both of these are really well done. The weathering is very authentic! Your additions of the bedrolls/gear/storage box are well done and add some color and interest to the vehicles.

The more I look at them, the more I am impressed---both show stoppers. Perfect examples of why you are deserving as a UOM candidate.
Congrats on completing the Barb Campaign.

Steve
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:51 PM UTC
Plasticbattle,
another two great entries for the campaign. I love both of them.
Ciao
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi again, Plasticbattle. Actually, those long shots did happen. Sometime's vehicles, were transferred over from Heer to Waffen SS or " vice-versa " but the plates were not changed until a more convenient time. ( Actually, I wanted to see if that was your reason for the mix ).
There are more than a few photo's that exist of such vehicles.
...... Yes, definitely has been a while. I took a bad fall from a ladder back in the Spring and I'm still not able to sit for long periods, this has really put " a damper " on my modeling building. Going to see a Chiropractor next week. The fall caused a ruptured disc and a severe sprain to my lower lombard spine. My back was already screwed up from a car accident, 15 years ago. So this just added fuel to the fire. The " Chiro " I'm going to see is one of the best around. I just want to be able to sit down comfortably so I can get back to my model building. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PB !

- ralph
 _GOTOTOP