_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tamiya Panzer III Ausf. M/N
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 07:12 AM UTC
Okay guys, opinions. I am ready to start a new kit. Can't do the M60 yet, gotta get a turret and tracks. I'm looking at this Tamiya Panzer M/N. WOW! Is this a thick mold or what!? Does anyone do PE or anything else to help this kit out? (I'm so happy I got it for $5, unfortunatley it was while the family of the local hobby store owner was selling off his stock after he died)
I'm thinking of doing the M v ersion (with the 50 mm) All input is always welcome (as usual).
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 11:36 AM UTC
yes they do make a photoetch set for the M/N, unfortunately it is for the dragon kit. which by the way is better. oh, sorry i forgot to say whom, aber. and eduard. :-)
KMM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 02:22 PM UTC
If you're going to build the M version, I'd definately buy an aftermarket barrel - the Tamiya one is basically a solid piece of plastic - no muzzle hole or anything.

I built the N version of this and it turned into a nice little kit. The only real problem I had was the plastic - which tended to be a bit brittle after more than twenty years.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 08:33 PM UTC
I have done one a while back. the kit is a charm to put together. If you do a little adding like tracks or pe set should be one pretty good kit on the barrel they give you a solid barrel with a little piece you glue on to make the barrel end. But get an elephant or whatever addon and call it even.
Good luck on this kit.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
I've been collecting up aftermarket items for this kit for more than a decade. There is a photo etch set made especially for this kit, it is by On The Mark Models, set # TMP-3509 PzKfw III. I also have the Jordi Rubio 5 cm KwK L/60 barrel (#TG-03) as well as the Airwaves PzKpfw III Turret Armor (#AFV35034) and Thrid Group decals (#35-011). I also have DML individual track links. I just recently gave up on it (sort of) and picked up the new Tamiya PzKfw III Ausf. L from a seller on Hyper Scale. I started my kit as the Ausf. M also.
KMM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
The biggest change I made to this kit was sanding off the horrible molded-on tow cable on the back. Yuck! Other than that, I just added a scratch-built jerry can rack, since I made it an afrika corps version.
 _GOTOTOP