_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter T-62 Metal Barrel Install Problem?
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi all

Following the installation instructions on the '62 kit, you choose either part C7 or B14 which installs into the mantle (btw on my instructions the part #'s were swapped round)

Then B22 (ring with mount) connects to C7/B14 and then they say the barrel goes through both.

Problem, the "ring" fits flush against the "lip" on the metal barrel which means the glue joint will only be against the ring since the rest of the barrel which fits inside doesn't touch the sides or the back. Not very secure join.

I assembled the plastic barrel to compare and the "ring" fits over the "lip" maybe by a few mm and then gets stuck. More of the barrel fits inside C7/B14 but again doesn't reach the mounting point inside C7/B14 (there is circle with a space for the "tooth" on the plastic barrel)

For those who have used the metal barrel is it meant to only fit the outside of B22 (ring) and then shove CA glue inside from the other direction?

Or are you meant to carefully sand/file B22(ring) so that it fits over the lip and allows more of the barrel inside C7/B14?

I've included a link to Hobby Search which has a scan of the instructions for the above step:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10093179z10/70/10

Hopefully someone has come across the problem during their build?

John

dylans
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 10:14 PM UTC
Hi John
I had the same problem, trumpeter made part B22 too small. if you try to make the hole smaller you run the risk of ruining the bolt detail on the ring. what i did was split the ring at the 6oclock position thereby keeping the detail and allowing the part to slip over the barrel.
then I carefully filled and sanded the ring where it had been split. since its underneath the barrel its hard to spot

hth Dylan
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi Dylan

Thanks for the input, didn't think about cutting the part.
Will go that route.

Thanks for the tip.

John
 _GOTOTOP