_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
suggestions for a new modeller.
Wirbelwind
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:36 PM UTC
i just bought a 8 ton semi-track w/ 4 barrel flakveirling. does anyone have any suggestions on how i should detail and weather it? i am trying to create that "i just wasted a whole bunch of russian fighters" look.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:09 PM UTC
Lots and lots of shell casings. Also empty magazines and dirty guns. I would assume this is around Barbarossa time so they probably would not be in winter gear. The men would either be checking out the guns or looking over at the bodies for either souvineers or survivors. I would make sure there are plenty of backpacks and bags hanging off the rails that were let down to act as walking platforms. Mud might also be good but it might be too early for that so it would be completely optional. Anything specific you are wanting this dio to say?

Rob
Wirbelwind
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:14 PM UTC
well, the kit came with five figures in winter gear, and reccomends a winter paint scheme. i dont think i'll worry about a diorama just yet, but i want to make the model look like its just caught some hell.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
This is kind of a grey area. Unfortunately, the german units were notoriously short of winter gear during most of their winter fighting, but that is not to say it is not possible for four crewmen of the half track to have all their winter gear intact. I would say it wouldn't be uncommon for them to have a hodge podge of German and Russian winter gear, however I understand your situation and perhaps the crew supplied with the kit would be a better choice. The white winter uniforms that the German army supplied had a tendency to pick up the slightest amount of dirt they rubbed against and had the effect of turning slightly yellow after a while. They would be greying from exposure to the gunpowder fumes and the knees, elbows and stomach area would be filthy. This is from personal experience as a mechanic. The palms and fingers of the gloves would be absolutely black or the deepest brown you can find.

The winter white camo was just whitewash which had a tendancy to show through after the first heavy rain or snow. I am sure you can find references on the net for that. Try panzerdiesel.com or Achtungpanzer.com. These shouls also help you find pics of the vehicle that will help you to know what kind of stowage and detailing you want to do to your new model. Keep asking questions, also, as the only stupid question is the one that remains un-asked.

Rob
Wirbelwind
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 01:37 PM UTC
what would you reccomend for soot on the truck and uniforms? i thoutght i might mix some soot from my fireplace with some clearcoat and use that, but i thought i would asl here too.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:45 PM UTC
Soot from your fire place may have too large of granuals to control during application. Artist pastels are much finer and easier to control.
capnjock
Wirbelwind
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
picked up all my paints today and have begun asembly. i will post pics at majr intervala and kepp this therad refrreshed.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 08:21 PM UTC
i think it would also be nice after the basic german grey colour to ver paint with the whitewash if you have enough evidence of the era that the vehicle was used. smoking guns will do everything more black and dark so think the right places to do so .
good job
 _GOTOTOP