_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German 12.8cm Kanone 43 Bzw. (KRUPP)
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 04:10 PM UTC
Hi folks,
this is my recent build. LHS threw a good bargain on this kit. I was planning to get the greatwall kit but they never reach our shores so on with mr trumpeter.
the kit in question is Trumpeter 1/35 German 12.8cm Kanone 43 bzw. (KRUPP) [kit # 02317] was released on Dec 2010.
since there is no build review for the kit, i thought i might make one.

Here's to you all

History Data :

The 12.8 cm Pak 44, (Panzerabwehrkanone) was a German heavy anti-tank gun used during World War II. It was designed as a result of experiences on the Eastern front in 1943. The German army had encountered the Russian 122 mm guns and had issued a requirement for a similar weapon. Development initially concentrated on a field gun known as the Kanone K 44. However once heavier Russian armour such as the IS-2 started to appear the design requirements were altered to include an anti-armour role. Contrary to some claims this design had nothing in common with the 128 mm Flak gun.

The choice of 128 mm was made because of the availability of tooling due to the use of this caliber on naval weapons, design contracts being awarded to Rheinmetall Borsig and Krupp, the first prototype guns were delivered for testing in late 1944. After initial tests the Rheinmetall design was dropped and development continued with the Krupp design. However the service tests showed that a towed anti-tank gun weighing nearly 11 tonnes was impractical so the towed design was terminated.

Approximately 50 barrels and breeches were used on existing carriages. The weapon that used the ex-French GPF-T carriage was known as the K 81/1 while the K 81/2 used the ex-Russian carriage. Both of these designs were rushed, and were too heavy, making them cumbersome to deploy. In 1943 the design was started for a gun to mount on the Jagdtiger (Sd.Kfz. 186) and the Maus super-heavy tank was started using the Pak 44 as its starting point. This weapon of which approximately 100 were made was known both as the Pak 44 and Pak 80 / Pjk 80. Performance was identical to the initial design.

The gun was fed with two-piece ammunition, the projectile and cartridge making up separate pieces. Because of this the gun could be fired using three different sized propellant charges, a light, medium and heavy charge. The light and medium charges were normally used when the gun was fulfilling the role of an artillery piece, where they would launch the ~28 kg projectiles to a muzzle velocity of 845 m/s and 880 m/s respectively. Finally the heavy charge was used when the gun was fulfilling its intended role as an anti-tank gun, where it fired a 28.3 kg APCBC-HE projectile (PzGr.43) at a muzzle velocity of 935 m/s. With the heavy charge, and using the PzGr.43 projectile, the PaK44 was capable of penetrating just over 200 millimetres (7.9 in) of 30 degree sloped armor at 1000 meters, and 148 millimetres (5.8 in) at 2,000 metres (2,200 yd) range. But although its short-range performance was similar to the 8.8 cm PaK 43, the 12.8cm PaK 44 better maintained its performance over longer ranges.

The 12.8cm PaK44 ended up becoming the standard main armament for the Jagdtiger heavy tank destroyer, as well as being the planned main armament for most of the future heavy tank designs in development during the dying months of World War II, including the Maus and E-100. [from wikipedia]

About the kit:

The kit comes in smaller box than average AFV kit but the goodies inside is so well packed.
There are 10 sprues molded in light beige color something unusual for trumpeter. 3 PE frets are included as well as 4 vinyls tyres, one metal tuned metal barrel, 4 pieces of brass tubes for the hydraulic arms.
There are over 270 parts with 47 pieces of PE parts.

the instruction is very straight forward and there is a separated color and marking sheet which was printed on glossy and colored paper.

Construction

I follow every step in the instruction sheet. So Page 1 begins with the construction of the gun base. There are lots of small parts here. The fitting on the these are superb and no filler is required. Post of Sprue C and E are used for the base.
base completed

Next page is the construction of the wheels dolly and bogies. The instruction is very step forward but the construction is a bit tricky and many small parts are involved here. Fitting is good but there is a small gap between the shaft. This took more about 3 hours to complete the 2 set. Small PE part are glued to the dollies.
You can see the gap between the shaft. This is very hard to get it right at first...after several dry fit and sanding, there are still gap...so i decided to live on and fill the gap later with green putty.

completed:

Next is the wheels.
The wheels consist of 6 parts each with one vinly tyre with a good impression of the tyre brand.

The PE frets is heavy than usual but i was so surprise that they are easy to work with. The PE also came in a plastic and a thin film.

Most of the PE in fret B are for the gun cradle and wheels dolly. One example:

Next is the assembly of the gun cradle. There are lots of pin holes on the inside wall so i fill and sand away with green putty.

This is a very straight forward build.
The 4 pieces brass rod are excellent and fit just nice.

These part are a bit hard to match. SO i fill and sand these join.

Next is the main gun assembly. The main gun consist of a metal tuned rod and plastic muzzle brake. Mr Trumpeter gives two options for the muzzle brake. First is the 2 part plastic and second a brass PE. I chose the first coz it will be lot easier than rolling the 2 part PE.
The instruction called all the dimple on the muzzle brake to be drilled out.
here how is look. The bottom is after i drill the holes.

then i glued them and add PE to the front.

the whole gun:

Trumpeter also gives two options for the gun breech block. I chose the first one.

The gun shield consist of 5 part each and the thickness of the plastic is quite reasonable with the scale.

Test fitting the whole assemblies. The main gun is very heavy but i think the main structure is sturdy enough to hold the weight.

This completed the construction process, although some small part are not glued yet.

will update next.

Thanks for looking.

Zaidi

fireontheway
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 368 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 04:08 AM UTC
Nice clean straightforward build, I like it. Seems like you are not wasting any time on this one, keep going. A good looking kit, thanks for the info and review.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 04:50 AM UTC
Nice build so far and thanks for showing some possible "problematic" parts.
I had the idea, to buy and build this one (or one of the other newer guns by "big T")... but I would prefer a metal-muzzle-brake for this one.

greetings...
Soeren
Removed by original poster on 06/30/11 - 21:42:55 (GMT).
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 06:23 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing the end result, im glad you have done a blog on this as i have just had the Trumpeter 12,8cm 43 pak 44 bought for me by my wifey for my birthday.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 11:53 PM UTC
wow..it's been a while....work and personal stuff got in between..fortunately managed to steal some time to continue...

more photos soon ...thanks for watching

Sil..
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 12:13 AM UTC
Wow! This is a thing of beauty! Can you place a soda can or something next to it so I can see just what size it is? I'm afraid the coffee cup isn't helping.

It looks so much better than the box art and you've done a great job on it!

~ Jeff
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! This is a thing of beauty! Can you place a soda can or something next to it so I can see just what size it is? I'm afraid the coffee cup isn't helping.

It looks so much better than the box art and you've done a great job on it!

~ Jeff

Hey Jeff..thanks for the comments.... still long way to go before i can say it finish,,,

i dont have a soda (was banned from my home..hehe), perhaps revell contacta will do ... so here you go..the length is 28cm (approx 11 inches)

Sil...
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 08:35 PM UTC
Finally, its done...

sorry for the pic quality....maybe its too large for some...

playing on the field ...

comments are welcome...

thanks

Sil, out
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 10:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the size reference! It is very good sized piece and it also looks like a veteran of the war too with all the chipping and weathering.

Very nice work!

~ Jeff
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the size reference! It is very good sized piece and it also looks like a veteran of the war too with all the chipping and weathering.

Very nice work!

~ Jeff

Hey Jeff..thanks for the comments.... i think this is my first time ever successful in this kinda attempt ...

Sil
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 11:41 PM UTC
A nice build and paint job Zaidi. Looks like quite an involved build. The weathering is nice as well .... any further plans for this ... setting, being pulled, figures, etc?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A nice build and paint job Zaidi. Looks like quite an involved build. The weathering is nice as well .... any further plans for this ... setting, being pulled, figures, etc?

Hey Frank....

thanks for commenting in this build.... yeah, as usual i had some future plan in my mind...cant find suitable figures set for this...most probably not a combat scene...maybe a relax scene of crews after battle...

thanks once again

Sil aka Zaidi
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 06:08 AM UTC
Really an spectacular build Zaidi! Can you please share how you weathered the breach, specifically? Those chips look amazing!

Rob
Peelou75
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really an spectacular build Zaidi! Can you please share how you weathered the breach, specifically? Those chips look amazing!

Rob

Sil, I would also like to know a bit more about your chipping method, it looks fantastic!
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 02:59 PM UTC
thanks for ur interest...sorry for the late reply..i was away for a holiday....

chipping method on the breach i just used cheap make up applicator..the tip of this thing is sponge..paint used wad vallejo choc brown...dab the sponge on the paint..and then dab on a piece of paper or cloth..similar to drybrush where we just want a small amount of paint on the sponge..
then u may apply to the kit with gentle pressure...good luck...practise first on scrap model...wish u all the best...

sil
jaymckagan
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 06:59 PM UTC
very nice job!
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 11:17 PM UTC
TOP!
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks for ur interest...sorry for the late reply..i was away for a holiday....

chipping method on the breach i just used cheap make up applicator..the tip of this thing is sponge..paint used wad vallejo choc brown...dab the sponge on the paint..and then dab on a piece of paper or cloth..similar to drybrush where we just want a small amount of paint on the sponge..
then u may apply to the kit with gentle pressure...good luck...practise first on scrap model...wish u all the best...

sil

Thanks for the response, Sil! Will definitely try it on my current artillery project.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP