_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
REVIEW
Engines and Metal weathering set
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 11:04 AM UTC
Rick Cooper provides a hands-on review of a new weathering set for Engines and Metal Surfaces from AK interactive.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 06:35 PM UTC
This looks like a nice universal set that can be applied to any type of machine. I'll be adding this to my workbench supplies. Thanks for the mini tutorial Rick
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 12:21 AM UTC

Engine Grime - Define Engine Grime,

Track wash - can be done with any artists oils, any colour you like.

Fresh Engine Oil - same as above, if you so wish.

Track Rust Pigment - Artists Pastel chalks, browns and oranges.

Dark Steel Pigment - grab a pencil, rub it on very fine sandpaper, apply the powder to the tracks with your finger.

Still a good set, sorta lumps everything together, I guess thats the point, but tbh untill stuff like this hits my local model shop, ie becomes available as an "impulse buy", I dont see the point, because I can just walk into my local Arts shop and buy stuff that does the same thing.

Sorry if this sounds negative, was not meant to.

ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC
To be honest Matt, I kind of agree with you

However, a lot of guys like the ease and covenience of being able to just reach for a bottle of something that will do 'exactly what it says on the tin'. So long as a product fulfils that it will always be a valuable addition to someone's workbench
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 07:22 AM UTC
I think Chris has hit the nail on the head in that this may not be for everyone but some will like the idea of a one stop product in a box Matt.
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 02:56 AM UTC
Thank you for the feedback guys!
Matt, you must take a look at these products. Not quite the same as mixing some oils & varnish -or- using the edge of pencil.
I am not sure how to explain....I have used the edge of a pencil for many many years....not the same effect as the 'Dark Steel" pigment. This pigment is polishable and much brighter if you choose. Also, the "Dark Steel" pigment doesnt contain the metal speckle that othe steel pigments do.
Consistancy is a very important factor in modeling as most modelers do not have time to complete a step, but rather will work for an hour at a time a few times a week. In this way, re-mixing all of your different effects can easily take up much of your bench time & also is inconsistant.
Is very true that you can mix your own! No doubt. If you have the time & depth of art supply products available & the time to create your own effect. Trust me, I have tried. Took me far to much time & money!
But Matt, I agree that your solution works & that it can work well! . There are many different ways and we offer just one. It is not the only way, just a very good one!
 _GOTOTOP