Hosted by Darren Baker
Question on how to make camo netting in 72nd
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 07:23 AM UTC
I would like to know how do you make modern camo netting and have it look good(realistic) in 72nd scale?
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hello

too bad you have no replies yet

For WW2 era netting medical gauze is OK, but I'm not sure about modern era camo nets, they are more complex.

If you haven't seen it before, the modeller in the below link seems to have done a great job on his. He doesn't describe how he did it here, but I think he gave more detail when he entered it into the 'Braille Battlefield' campaign.
Or you could PM him for advice.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/172376&ord=&page=1

hope this helps, if not it at least this post has been bumped, so maybe another modeller who does modern era will see it and reply

cheers
Neil
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 05:52 PM UTC
Hello Wolfleader,

From my experience medical gauge while is perfect for 1/35, to my eyes is too large for 1/72.
I've read that woman's nylon stocking can make good net for our scale but I haven't tried it yet.
I remember once as a guest in a wedding I was given a small gift every guest received and immediately (with the never asleep keen eye of the modeler ) I realised I was holding a perfect 1/72 net, or that seemed to be the case I never actually worked with it. It's lying in my workspot somewhere if I find it I'll post a pic.
I've also read about bride's veil and tea bags . I think EDUARD even makes a PE set in 1/72 (22050). I dont know if modern era nets are more complex though.

So unfortunately I dont have a definitive answer, you'll have to experiment with the above, but I beleive eventually it will be something that accidentaly will fall into your hands.

P.A.

P.A.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hello

re what Alexander said - yes the gauze is a bit large for for most 1/72 scale camo nets, if you have it spread out, folded up looks better. In WW2 some camo nets had larger 'squares' than others.

Possibly the material Alexander mentioned is 'Tulle'.

You can buy this stuff cheaply from anywhere that sells material. It has small scale squares, (also makes good scale chain link fencing wire).

Not sure if it will do the job, but places that sell material and fabrics have other similar 'netting' type material that may be better

I used some of this 'Tulle' as netting that was in Phanomen Granit ambulances, below is an in progress build of a 1/72 scale Granit, with netting in place on the inside of the windows, prior to attaching the roof

for the model I placed the material 'diagonally' rather than square as this is how it appears in wartime photos in these vehicles

good luck

cheers
Neil
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 09:53 PM UTC
Neil, by looking at your picture the net you used is perfect to model wire fences (like the ones we see in army camps).

About the material I mentioned I found it. Here is the pic.

As you see it's pretty fine, but I still don't know if it's going to pass.
I agree with Neil, maybe you should take a walk to a shop that sell these kind of fabrics.

Hope it helps, P.A.
 _GOTOTOP