Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzer Series in 72nd
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hey guys i recentlly discovered armor modeling after about 12 years of aircraft modeling, and while 1/35 scale is great for detail it is EXPENSIVE ! So i've decided to focus on braille scale. My idea was to create a line up of every "PzKpfw" used by germany in action during world war II. Because it is such a big project i've decided that budget is not an issue and therefore i want to be sure i'm getting one of the best kits produced of each AFV. These are the kits i've decided to use and the tanks i've narrowed it down to:
Pz.. I ausf. B -- Italeri
Pz.. 35 -- Attack
Pz.. II ausf. C -- Ace
Pz.. 38 ausf. G -- UM
Pz.. III ausf. L -- Italeri (used as a substitue for an ausf. J)
Pz.. IV ausf. H -- Revell
Pz . V Panther ausf. G -- Dragon
Pz . VI Tiger ausf. E -- Dragon
Pz . VI Tiger II -- Dragon
Pz . VIII Maus -- Dragon (maybe)

I've chosen each tank's mark (ausf) by which version was produced in the greatest numbers, I'd really just like to know that i'm choosing the best kit for each panzer and that i'm not leaving out any important link in the Panzer series ( i know that the germans did use captured t-34's and other tanks but i only was going to model every tank ordered into production by the Nazi govt.) so please tell me if i'm wrong in my line up. I was also debating weather or not to include a small groundscape to correspond to each vehicle's color scheme and have a sharp demarcation between the different landscapes as you go down the line. this may be alittle to ambitious though. Let me know your thoughts and ideas
Matt182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Erich,

I really like the idea you have. Quite an undertaking but it will look awesome when done.

My suggestions on kits would be:
Pz III - Revells kit, probably the best on the market at the moment
Pz IV - Dragon F1 or F2(G). Easily the best Pz IV kits on the market
Panther - Dragons later kits with moulded in zimmerit are nice but avoid thier earlier kits. Haven't tried the revell kit.
Tiger - Revell do a very nice Ausf H and E but their E has no zimmerit. Dragon make an excellent intial tiger, easily the best kit but it is based on the first few tigers
Tiger II - I think its a close call between revell and dragon. Personally I think the revell kit is better (and cheaper) but the dragon kit comes with the PE mesh for the intakes.

Sorry I can't help with the others.
Matt
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 11:38 AM UTC
Here's my progress so far: (im using Aber 1/72 mg34[yes i know thats the wrong gun] and resin tracks and correct sprokets form Modeltrans)

some major gaps and pin marks filled (q-tip for size).

Still waiting for the aftermarket items in the mail.

Happy modelling,
Erich
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hey Erich, I know how you feel about choosing 1/72 for economical reasons. Braille has matured quite a bit in detail and quality as well.

A sight that you should keep bookmarked is On The Way. They are dedicated to all things Braille on the armor side and are a great source for reviews.

Those resin tracks were a good way to go, and metal barrels help significantly. Something else that you may want to consider is replacing the fenders with thin metal, brass or aluminum. You can even cut some out of soda cans if you can't find direct AM replacements.

Keep us posted on your progress and other builds
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
The Italeri Pz.I Ausf. B is a nice little kit.

Its origin goes back to Esci and does have some accuracy issues at the rear of the chassis, if you are concerned about that.

My build is below;

EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the ideas guys!! Micheal, superb! I hope I can do the Pz . I justice as you have!
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 10:09 PM UTC
Hi Erich

You have come up with an intersting concept , to make one example of each main tank type used.

I think Matt has it about right with his choices of manufacturers, and Jeremy H is right about OTW, there are some good comparions and reviews in there. 'Henk of Holland' also has photos and some comments & links to reviews about a vast range of 1/72 and 1/76 scale models.

If you have the time, I think a small base adds a lot to a model. The base doesn't have to be complex & packed with details, a simple base like Michael Johnson posted with his Pz I shows that simplicity can work well.

Good luck with the project, I'll be checking your updates

cheers
Neil
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hi Erich,

I have always thought placing all the basic models of Pz I - Pz VI on a single base with the title something like 'Darwin's Theory of Evolution in WW2 armor'' or something like that . I think it's quite catchy.

P.A.
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 05:16 AM UTC
Thanks for the idea Alexander, but i'll have to let inspiration hit me once i've finished more than 1/2 of 1 out of 9 models!!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
Erich,

Your first build looks to be coming along nicely and the concept has great potential. Decades ago I attempted something similar but in 1/76 scale. While I still have the models the lack of building/finishing skills at the time resulted in what I would kindly call "mediocre results."

One thought that I have on this subject is to somewhat expand the representations in the mid range. Perhaps an early and a later up-armoured Panzer III (III L?). Similarly you might consider also expanding the representation of the Panzer IV. The Panzer IV went through quite an evolution during the war from the short barrelled F1 to the long barrelled F2 and then the ultimate with the spaced armour plates.

I like the idea of having all of these posed on a single base. Perhaps a parade ground or museum setting. The tanks could then realistically be portrayed in quite nice condition with minimal weathering. Not factory fresh, mind you, but definitely not battle weary either. Just my thoughts.

Good luck,
Jan
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 05:54 AM UTC
I do like the sound of the museum setting idea...less weathering = happy Erich. And I was considering representing the Pz . IV twice... I'll see which ausf of the short barreled Pz . IV was produced in the greatest quantity (in keeping with my set parameters) and i'll decide if i want to add it to the line up. I was itching to get my hands on a Dragon F1...hmmm. Just so everyone knows, I've done the research and the ausfs that i've come up with for each panzer are all the ones which were produced in the greatest quantity. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Happy modeling,
Erich
Piratos
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Erich

This sounds like a great idea and your work so far looks really good!
I build quite alot of 1/72 (mostly Dragon, and some even the kits you are reffering to) you can check them out Here

Keep up the great work

Regards
Christoffer
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 08:59 AM UTC
I'll be out of town for the next 8 or so days but the good news is that my AM goodies will be waiting for me when i get home. More build pics after that.

Happy modeling,
Erich
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 05:25 AM UTC
Erich,

You have a great plan and you are off to a fine start. It might even inspire me to try something similar. I also might try it in 1/76 scale if I could find the necessary models as I have been working on rebuilding an old Fujimi Panzer I that has laid in a box damaged for years. That scale won't have the variety of 1/72 but I think that the necessary vehicles are available (Airfix, Matchbox, Fujimi). Here's a picture of my humble first steps with the old Pz I.

The Pak gun was also part of the same kit.

Regards,
AJ
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 12:48 PM UTC
Lookin great AJ! I'm glad to know that i may have inspired a fellow builder. Good luck to you in your quest to do this in 1/76, I shy away from that scale in general just because of the age of most of those armor kits!

Happy modeling,
Erich
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 11:03 AM UTC
@Ezhotshot511 – Erich,

Welcome.

Sounds to me like you have an excellent plan and you’re off to a good start. Let us know what you think when you receive the aftermarket resin track and wheel set that you’ve ordered for your Panzer I. The item looks outstanding from the photographs and should help in adding some needed detail in that area of the kit.

I have a few of these Panzer I’s in the stash from when ESCI first issued them back in the last century. So I’m looking forward to seeing yours come together with the aftermarket items that you have ordered.

-Eddy
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 11:43 AM UTC
EZ another good source for stock thin metal are the Stoufer's family size lasagna and enchilada dinners. After you are done with the pan, you can clean the aluminum lid. Presto, thin metal from which to cut custom parts. And, much easier than cutting up cans.
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 12:10 PM UTC
Unfortunatley I'm having a bit of trouble with my AM parts, after ordering them from Tracks-n-Troops. My first and second order didnt go through, and my third try has to be shipped from the Czech rep. (which is where t&t is located). If you've ordered from there before let me know if you agree on the fact that they're shipping cost system is very scary to the 1st time orderer. Because of this I've decided to start in on my Pz III. But before i do that i need to know if any major overhaul (besides leaving the supplied schurzen off) is required to turn an ausf. M into an ausf. J. More build pics (of the Pz III only, until my AM stuff arrives) soon.

Happy modeling,
Erich
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 12:30 PM UTC
You can save a little money, if you are doing stuff used "in action" then you can eliminate the Maus. I don't think they ever even built the turret for the thing!
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 01:10 PM UTC
That is true i think, i was really only considering the maus to show the ULTIMATE in german tank evolution as well as to compare the size of it to the Pz I. But that dosent realy hold to my original criterea...i'll think it over. Besides, I'm not even close to that model yet

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 06:22 PM UTC
Hi Erich,

I have placed some orders at T&T. Milan Vins who owns it does great job and I never had any problems.He has the most extensive inventory of Braille items that I know of.
About the shipping costs they are ok provided that you make a bulk order .If I remember correctly the actual shipping costs are finalized when your package is actually weighted and Milan emails you for verification.At first you only get an estimate.
Another thing is that it usually gets 2-3 months for him to gather all the stuff that I order before he ships.
If I need something for my current builds then I go ebay, or Martola.

P.A.
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 02:17 AM UTC
Thanks for clearing that up Alexander! I totally agree that he has the best braille scale stock out of anyone. Ok so in that case I'll definatley be starting in on the Pz III.
EZhotshot511
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC
I have decided that the Italeri kit of the Pz.III ausf.M is not going to work for my needs, so I have ordered the Revell Pz.III ausf. L from my LHS as I think this varient is much closer if not identical to a late model ausf. J. I have often heard that the Revell 1/72 Pz.III's are king and I am excited to see for my self. My order from Tracks-n-Troops has finally been shipped, a big step forward as this order contains some aftermarket necessities aswell as my Pz.38(t) ausf. G. I hope that some of you are still interested and I apologize for the huge gap in posts but I guess I didnt know what I was getting into with ordering from Tracks-n-Troops. I have also aquired the DML Panther G early production w/ Zimmerit aswell as the Revell King Tiger (Henschelturm).And I have yet to get the following kits:
Revell Pz.IV ausf. H
DML Tiger I ausf. E Late w/ Zimmerit
Attack Pz.35(t)
Ace Pz.II ausf. C
DML Pz.VIII Maus (still maybe)
 _GOTOTOP