_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill Croc
JDBart
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 10:53 AM UTC
Feel as nervous as a virgin at the Prom posting up some photos to be dissected! Especially when you some some of the genuine works of art out there - we all have far too much time on our hands!

Great fun, an Old Tamiya Crocodile, which I since found a photo of, and it was not a Croc tank (the name Briton)! Built straight out of the box but for a bit of the junk on the back deck.

Enjoyable build, almost fell together, all brush painted and weathered etc.

Trailer markings from the Bart school of 'that looks OK, so I'll add them' thought (Historical accuracy, what's that

( hope I got this right...!! )
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC
I can't say anything about the accurracy, but I do think you went a little heavy on the nato brown filter/wash.
JDBart
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 12:45 PM UTC
lol, I know it's inaccurate, that goes without saying. And one of my biggest bugbears is over rusting etc! I know a modeller who does brilliant work, but his finished product looks like it's been in the wreckers yard behind the toilets for the last 25 years.

And when you look at what I have done, bugger, might be a bit overdone. Was looking for the 'work horse' look, but yeah, maybe overdone. Still, happy overall, just reduced happiness
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 01:10 PM UTC

I think it looks very good, it looks well used, and the markings are weathered in nice, which fits with the overall look, and it has a certain atmosphere to it.

Very nice, like it
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 01:35 PM UTC
Jason this looks to be a reasonable build. I suggest the tracks are given some variation in colour and the one with the broken track guard need to be made to sit down, but otherwise it looks good with the stowage helping to set it off. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
JDBart
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 09:39 PM UTC
yes, some sag in that track would help - had not really noticed it until you pointed it out, now jumps out like dogs bollocks...

And yes, I usually do add a bit of naked metal to the tracks, bugger there too. Already onsold this, hopefully the buyer who is going to diorama-ise this will add those finishing touches.

A sad world, I love the build and the paint, but have no great desire to keep any of the builds - have no room to store them, and to me, the enjoyment is the build!! Would hate to know what the hourly rate is though, I think Chinese factory workers would earn more....!!

Think it might be an idea to post pics thorugh the build for those obvious things that you sometimes miss but a second, third and fourth pair of eyes will catch.

thanks for the kind and objective comments.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi Jason,

Yo've got the makings of a good model there.but as you say the marking are all wrong.

Tanks in use don't display much rust, especially British Armour. You could try using a lead pencil and make some worn areas on the fenders are where the troops would tread.

Get you self a decent set of decals and replace the ones that are in the wrong place. If you give it a repaint, you could start again, the model itself looks pretty good.

The edges of the track and the pads would have steel showing through.

You've got the right idea just a bit over done and don't be afriad to go back and start again to correct things, just means you get double the experience on the one kit. I like the idea of the damaged fender. Lots of potential here just needs a bit more thought.

Hope that helps.

Al
JDBart
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 10:22 AM UTC
yes, helps much (to all), always good to get decent feedback for a keen amateur like myself!!

It's the little things that make the big thing come good, lots of good pointers thanks.

I blame Tamiya for the decals! bloody amateurs...
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I blame Tamiya for the decals! bloody amateurs...

This made me chuckle soo much, your learning fast
JDBart
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:25 PM UTC
to be fair though, it is a very old kit, and with the internet now modellers can get soooo much information it is not funny!!

_GOTOTOP