_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter ASU-85?
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 02:18 AM UTC
Anyone get one these yet? A friend of mine got one and I'll be able to see it tomorrow, but I'm wondering about other people's impressions of the kit.

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 02:25 AM UTC
I'm waiting to see if the price goes down a bit. Probably take a year or so but look how long we've been waiting for it.

- Jeff
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 02:34 AM UTC
Whats wrong with the price on it? I can get it (well once its back in stock) from SprueBrothers for $34.99...that pretty fair for a kit like this...

I guess my pricing threshold is different then yours....if a kit is more then $50 I won't buy it (unless its something I really want)

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 04:09 AM UTC
If you need a preview look here

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10144517a/20/1

You can see instruction sheets and some sprue pic

It looks oustanding

TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm waiting to see if the price goes down a bit. Probably take a year or so but look how long we've been waiting for it.

I guess I am confused. What relevance does that have to Scott's question?

Since I have one about 3/4s built I can give you some useful information. I think it is one of Trumpeter's best kits to date. At the price it is, it is somewhat of a steal compared to other brand's kits. Very nice detail. A very comprehensive PE fret. Markings for both U.S.S.R. and Polish Airborne units. Link to link tracks very well detailed. The only major complaint I have about it is there is no manlet cover. While it has a very well detailed mantlet, like I said, no cover. I have yet to find an operational picture of them being used with out it. Not that this has to do with the the ASU-85, I picked up Trumpeter's BTR-60P at the same time and it is very nice.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I guess I am confused. What relevance does that have to Scott's question?

Since I have one about 3/4s built I can give you some useful information. I think it is one of Trumpeter's best kits to date. At the price it is, it is somewhat of a steal compared to other brand's kits. Very nice detail. A very comprehensive PE fret. Markings for both U.S.S.R. and Polish Airborne units. Link to link tracks very well detailed. The only major complaint I have about it is there is no manlet cover. While it has a very well detailed mantlet, like I said, no cover. I have yet to find an operational picture of them being used with out it. Not that this has to do with the the ASU-85, I picked up Trumpeter's BTR-60P at the same time and it is very nice.

What's the relevance? I answered the question by stating I'll wait to get one when the price is better. SEDimmick ... that's a price I have not seen yet and will check it out!! I usually go by Great Models and theirs was like almost $45.00 and forget my local hobby store. I think they've gone mad with pricing their kits.

Thanks for the tip!

- Jeff
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi Scott

Today I got it

At my hobby shop I paid 35 € for it (about 50 USD).
In my opinion it worth it
It seems to me that quality is very high, I'd say that is like a DML kit. Trumpeter has been getting better in its latest releases.
Ejector pin marks are few and will be invisible when the model is finished. Most of all it seems that there are no marks on the track links .
Over 480 (!) parts are packaged very carefully in a box smaller than usually are the Trumpeter ones.
Pieces look incredibly nice and crisp and you have a PE fret larger than usual.
The only flaw in my humble opinion is that the gun is made with plastic and is 2 parts molded, but I think that it would be easy to mount in a good way. Furthermore I think that an aluminium barrel will be produced soon.
I think I go mad when I'll assemble the 180 tracks.... (95 for each side)

I hope this is useful for you

GVoakes
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC
Picked mine up on the weekend - I agree an aftermarket barrel would be nice (wouldn't have to worry about sanding a seam line), and the tracks look like they could be a challenge.

Having said that - my initial thought was they looked similar (if not the same) to the track used on the SA-6 and SZU-23/4. If this is the case, Friul have a track available which is easily assembled.... I'll have to check some of the reference material I have.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 08:10 AM UTC
Trumpeter did not make the tracks 100% correct...they should have hollow guide horns. But they are close. While the track may superficially look like ZSU and SA-6 tracks, they are NOT the same. See the following thread for more info...
juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 08:11 AM UTC
Here you can build!

http://www.modelarmour.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=81&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=14&t=5745
elrogalo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Having said that - my initial thought was they looked similar (if not the same) to the track used on the SA-6 and SZU-23/4. If this is the case, Friul have a track available which is easily assembled.... I'll have to check some of the reference material I have.

Actually these are the same as for the PT-76 (the ASU-85 was built on slightly modified PT-76 chassis). Friul has also very nice set for PT-76 so it is up to individual which struggle is less painfull - cutting and sanding the plastic links or drilling holes and pricking ones fingers with steel wire

Friuls however will for sure look far more realistic with theirs natural sag.

As for the kit itself - for me it is on the top of "most wanted " list. Superb would be the proper word. And it costs about 23 EUR (+p & p) in Germany where I live at the moment, so I think that you may consider it a bargain, taking into account what is in the box (just compare the price with any of DML's "Smart Kits" and you will know what I mean).

P.S. I just read the thread that Jacques posted, and I see it is not all so clear and easy as I thought when it comes to the tracks. Well, you learn all your life...
juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 08:38 AM UTC
Replace the original kit track the Friul Track. (PT-76)
The difference is that ASU is easier than, is drilled through the crest.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 08:42 AM UTC
Jacques and Gábor, thanks a million for the links
GVoakes
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 04:59 PM UTC
Yes - Thanks!

I have some PT-76 track lying around, so will look into using that.

Thanks, Jacques and Gabor!
intake8610
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 09:44 AM UTC
hey all,
reading this thread with interest as i have just started this lovely little kit.
I have never used fruil tracks, i noticed something about drilling them....i have several tanks i would like to retrofit fruil tracks to after hearing about the realistic sag.
Could somebody gimme a breakdown of what i need to know about fruil?
Cheers
John
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 10:18 AM UTC
Just picked one up.......Really nice........needs the canvas mantle cover and that is about it.........
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
Got mine for £25.99 at Wonderland in Edinbugh. It's a great kit and I plan on getting another 4. However I did notice something on the box art. If you look at the Airborn crest, on the front of the ASSU, under the splash board, you will see the plane on the left of the parachute, is missing the front part of it's engine. ohhh well, still an amazing kit and won't stop me getting 4 more.
Euan
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
While it may be that way on the boxart, it is correct on the decals.
intake8610
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 08:08 AM UTC
ok.....i'll take the bait...... why on earth do you need five of these????
 _GOTOTOP