_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Scratchbuilding wheel / tyres.
MMB
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:31 PM UTC
Can anyone tell me how I can scratchbuild wheels and or tyres ?

Thanks in advance,
Marc
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:45 PM UTC
Not my speciality but I saw something at our last IPMS meeting that looked cool and afordable. A product called siligum, a 2 part mold making product. When the mold was made the guy made parts using milliput as the substance used. The detail was perfect.

The product is available from hobby shops here in Sweden. Mix the two parts together and place all around your master wheel and make the mold at least 5mm thick. The guy that showed us the technique had several parts premade and he had used milliput for the actual casting. He had casted the front transmission cover of a 1/72 sherman and all the bolt detail was amazing. The siligum cost around $10 and is something i will be looking into for simpe castings!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:16 AM UTC
Casting is the way to go. Sounds like PB has a great new product other than RTV molds.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:52 AM UTC
What I do is to start with cloning another suitable one casting one or more copies in resin. If the wire pattern is ok, I just check if the rim is ok otherwise:
Tire: remove the existing pattern and scratcbuild a suitable one using plasticard strips (very boring to cut them all to the same shape but I didn't workout anything better to date)
Rim: cut it away with the aid of a drill and rebuild it with the most disparate material (copper, brass, aluminium, or whatever suits)
When I'm happy with the result I make a mould out of it and just cast resin copies...
Ciao
 _GOTOTOP