_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Trumpeter IS-3M with a few tweaks
caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC
I've finished a Trumpeter IS-3M tank that I've been using as 'light relief' while struggling with the turret of the T-59 Enigma I've been working on.

What stared as a simple OOB build got a bit more complex....

I thought I'd try replacing the solid headlights with self adhesive crystals (womens makeup stuff) and lenses made from sanded down push pins

caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:12 AM UTC
That worked so well I decided to see what I could do to add to the tank, so took inspiration from the Voyager Models update set (photo borrowed from their website)

I removed the poor moulded tow hook closures and replaced them with some made from aluminium sheet (a coke can), wire and styrene. I've also replaced the shackle holder on the front mudguard with a scratched replacement
caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:19 AM UTC
I then drilled out the two lifiting eyes on the turret top plate,

but did not have a working bit small enough to drill out the many other lifting eyes (see the Voyager advert). Inspiration came when I came across a photo of a mantlet with rings in the lifting eyes so even though I suspect it would not be strictly accurate I've added them to all of them.

moving on to the turret I replaced all the hand rails with wire (just as it's less breakable during painting), and added a screw handle to the MG mount
caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:27 AM UTC
Next I worked on the fuel tanks, adding the 'quick release' wiring to the auxillary tanks, plus the coiled compressed air lines carried on top of them. I also added a second (drain?) plug on the underside of the fuel tanks seen on several photographs.

I added a set of fuel? barrel brackets on the rear engine grill (several of the preserved examples seem to have one or two pairs of these).

and finally a couple of upsdown 'L' pieces just to the rear of the exhausts, again seen on several of the preserved examples (used for tie downs?)

The smoke pots were reworked a fair bit, and a screw handle added to the gun bracket to the rear.
caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:37 AM UTC

Copper tow ropes were added, based on photographs

and finally unditiching log brackets were prepared from sheet aluminium, and a 'Log' selected from the park.

Finally the IS-3M was painted in a mixture of Tamiya Olive Green and Flat Yellow, then weathered.

I may add some oil washes and pigments, but then again I'm really pleased with it at present so I may leave well enough alone

I found the kit a real pleasure to put together EXCEPT for the tracks basically being too tight to the 'upper' that is incorportated on the lower tub when painted. It took snapping off bits and regluing to solve for me so if you're having a go beware of this
caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:48 AM UTC

and a big thanks to those on the forum who have responded to my IS-3M questions during this build
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 06:18 AM UTC
Anthony, nice build but you really need to apply some dull coat. It is way to shiny. Also I do not think the tow cables are stowed that way. Too easy to get snagged on something like tree branches and such. Some good pictures on this site:

http://www.o5m6.de/is3.html

Roy
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anthony, nice build but you really need to apply some dull coat. It is way to shiny. Also I do not think the tow cables are stowed that way. Too easy to get snagged on something like tree branches and such. Some good pictures on this site:

http://www.o5m6.de/is3.html

Roy

I agree with Roy, it looks glossy and tow cables are odd

You can find other pics here

http://en.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/68584

http://www.thetankmaster.com/english/afv/is3m_01d.asp

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=628

Aside that I think you you did some very good scratch jobs

Congrats
caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 07:27 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments....

I agree it's a bit shiny a present, I'll either 'dust' it with pigements or invest in some dull coat.

As to the tow cables, I was going to argue about them (though I agree they would get caught in stuff), but on re-examining the parade photo I based the position on I can see the cables probably are folded back onto the engine deck and the 'upright' position I've gone for was an optical illusion

so thanks for putting me right there too

It was a fun build though which is always the main point
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
Well Anthony , you can fix the tow cables problem. You can attach them to the engine deck. Then if you add a dull appareance to the whole tank, your model will be great in my opinion
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 11:31 AM UTC
It does look great for a out of the box project and I know first hand how hard this model is.I am modeling one right now that was used by Pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine during the Summer of 2014.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 - 11:29 PM UTC
Jason did you get the star decals for it i have them and they are great
dave
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 - 01:32 AM UTC
It's got potential, but apart for a good coat of matte varnish I would change the unditching log, with this kink it looks unrealistic, get a straighter one I'd say...

Cheers,

Christophe
 _GOTOTOP