_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AA. Announces Saladin FV601 Release Date.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 01:21 AM UTC
Nice to see that Accurate Armour has announced a release date of November for the long awaited Saladin Mk2. Armoured Car (FV601)..

Derek Hansen describes two versions, one with complete interior (no mention of engine) and one without.

Having crewed one in all three positions (Gunner/Op. Driver and Commander).. I want BOTH versions.

Keith.
pergamos
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 05:23 AM UTC
Well it is well overdue but it will be another subject that has been very much overlooked , so thank you AA but i have to finish this Saladin first...cheers Noel Photobucket
ianclasper
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 07:19 AM UTC
225 Pound (370 USD) - OUCH

Then I spotted that this model is 1/24th and not 1/35" !

Ian
pergamos
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 09:18 AM UTC
Well Ian as it is a Saladin and it is 124th scale,it has a full interior and i served on this vehical in it's twilight years, but as a lad my dad was a soldier based on the island of cyprus in 1974.The camp we were based at held the Heavy Scout Car Sqn Saladins Saracens &Ferrets, Pergamos Camp was a quiet backwater until the Turkish Invasion caused every tin of white paint in the islands QM'S to be put to use.I was a 9 years old lad who knew i would join the 165 The Queens Royal Lancers . A long story i know but that island and these vehicals were part of my youth and my army carear . I dont often pay this kind of money for a kit but it is a stunner and huge, the only other kit i would buy at this kind of money is a Ferret well thats next month sorted...cheers Noel
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Ian as it is a Saladin and it is 124th scale,it has a full interior and i served on this vehical in it's twilight years, but as a lad my dad was a soldier based on the island of cyprus in 1974.The camp we were based at held the Heavy Scout Car Sqn Saladins Saracens &Ferrets, Pergamos Camp was a quiet backwater until the Turkish Invasion caused every tin of white paint in the islands QM'S to be put to use.I was a 9 years old lad who knew i would join the 165 The Queens Royal Lancers . A long story i know but that island and these vehicals were part of my youth and my army carear . I dont often pay this kind of money for a kit but it is a stunner and huge, the only other kit i would buy at this kind of money is a Ferret well thats next month sorted...cheers Noel

I hope you meant, the 16/5th. The Queens Royal Lancers? Never heard of the 165th........

No offence of course...
Keith,
Ex Life Guards.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Keith this is great news I hope they release a Saracen too! I know Noel and I think he did mean 16/5th and it was just a typing error

Jaymes
pergamos
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hi yes sorry it was my typing Keith and hi Jaymes,i did mean The 165 the Queens Royal Lancers.Kit Form Services are bringing out the Ferret in 124 scale as well, so as A Sqn 165 Lancers was the final ever UN Scout Car Sqni will have to model my Ferret.All this and Euro Militare it will cost a packet but boy will it be fun....cheers Noel
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi yes sorry it was my typing Keith and hi Jaymes,i did mean The 165 the Queens Royal Lancers.Kit Form Services are bringing out the Ferret in 124 scale as well, so as A Sqn 165 Lancers was the final ever UN Scout Car Sqni will have to model my Ferret.All this and Euro Militare it will cost a packet but boy will it be fun....cheers Noel

Yes I knew what you meant and still mean mate, no worries.

Your build looks great and I understand a Saracen is in the works but no details. The 'reverse' fan matrix' nose would look good on that. Many fond memories of crewing them (all three, Ferret, Sally can and Saracen).

Cyprus was always a fun tour... (Jan - July 78).

Keith.
pergamos
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi Keith the Saracen was done before the Saladin military Modeling did a build on it and very nice it is too, reverse cooling as well.They are a bit over my kit prices but def worth it because they are rare in 135th let alone 124th.....cheers Noel
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 12:32 AM UTC
Firing Line has a Saracen (and a Saladin) in 1/35th and I built one of the originals in all metal (now resin, photoetch and metal). They are still available.

http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/1_35th_Vehicles.html

However like the Saladin the wheels are not scaled correctly.

I was refering to AA producing a 1/35th scale Saracen next year most likely!

Keith.
pergamos
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hi Keith mate,

my firing line kits..cheers Noel
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 12:40 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing mate. My only comment/concern is the angle of the Saladin Left side (as you look at the photo) smoke grenade launcher?

A bit dodgy if fired.... (Just kidding but you get my drift).

Keith.
pergamos
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 02:26 AM UTC
Hi Keith these were old and bashed up and the supa glue was from a £store,so cheap glue and me being a MSGulf War Ill veteran i think i was lucky to get it on target mate.stillat least the model making is good therapy....cheers Noel
 _GOTOTOP