_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Tiran 5 in-progress
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 10:45 AM UTC
My latest project is an IDF Tiran 5 using the Tamiya T-55 kit and Legend's Tiran 5 conversion kit. The weapons were backdated to M1914 30.cals and the .50 cal was relocated to the gun mantlet to represent a Tiran 5 used by the IDF. The Legends conversion builds into a later version Tiran 5 used by Lebenese Christian Militia forces in the '80. The Legend set is really nice and not too bad to work with. The hardest part was removing the huge pour blocks from the turret and hull rear stowage bins. I broke them a couple times in the process.

I have completed construction and will be moving onto paint soon. Here it is so far.

As far as markings go, I haven't been able to find any really good pics. From what I can tell, they had the black/white serial number panels on the front glacis and rear hull plate. It also looks as though a unit marking is on the left corner of the rear hull basket. Any other markings I should be aware of? I have most of the old Verlinden IDF Vehicle Markings sheet (# DT MI 302) and a bunch of left over IDF decals. Suggestions?

As always, all comments are welcomed.
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 11:31 AM UTC
As usual, ya have a great build going! I can;t wait to see it in paint..ya planning to really wear it out?

That enigma has been calling my name!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 04:04 PM UTC
Jeff - Thanks for the compliments. This one will be in pretty good shape with minimal wear and tear. I say go for the Enigma.
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 10:59 PM UTC
Looking good.....all I can say is.........Repete, Over....OK.....maybe Add Paint , Over....

Rounds Complete!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 12:44 AM UTC
Mike - thanks for looking in. Always good when you drop by. I think I need some paint on it before I am ready for a repeat. I'll call in tube status when ready.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 01:16 AM UTC
Should be a nice one Gino
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike - thanks for looking in. Always good when you drop by. I think I need some paint on it before I am ready for a repeat. I'll call in tube status when ready.

arty talk?

Gino great start after your previous Israeli project I think this is going to be a real winner too! Are you going to add the fuel plumbing lines?

Jaymes
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 05:58 AM UTC
James - Thanks for the compliments. I plan on this one being good too, We'll see how it turns out. The fule lines are already there. Take a close look at this pic.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 06:10 AM UTC
Thanks Gino sorry for not spotting them

JoeBev
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC
Gino- great work. i just finshed mine. I did a Tiran 5 with the Blast Models conversion. I was able to find a good set of IDF markings from Bison. They have a set specific for the Tiran and from what i could dig up they are very accurate. Have tried searching on IDF In scale.They have some good postings.
One extra thing i did was to add the grease nipples on the road wheels and idler hubs. This was an IDF mod. One other detail is the serial number plates. I scratched mine from plastic strip and Archers Rasied Detail( for the numbers). They went from painted on to welded after the 73' war. There is also a ventaletor slot that is missing on the lower right bottom front of the turret.
Good lick
Joe Bevans
AMPS
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi Joe. The info is great. Do you have any pics of the mods you are describing? I am actually building a post-73 version. I have seen some pics, but can't tell when they are from to see if it is a post-73 War version or not.
JoeBev
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
Gino- I used Velinden's Warmachine book on the Tiran4/5/6 and a lot of IDf In Scale web site. Prime Portal also had some pics. The missing ventaltor slot I got from Mike Mummey's IPMS article in 2007 he did on his Syrian T-55 build.
IDf in scale has a good DG with reference pics and the members are usally very good on info requests. If you have any specifics just let me know I do my best for you.
Joe Bevans
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 02:22 PM UTC
I have completed my Tiran 5. It was painted using a spray can of Krylon Khaki. I then pieced the markings together from different left over sheets and hand painting. They are based on the below pic of a post '73 Tiran 5. I also based it off some of my research that said the markings on them were very colorful so they would not be confused with Syrian T55s in conflicts with them.

Once the paint was on, I dded the details such as the weapons and gear. The gear is from the spares bin and the IDF ration boxes are from Verlinden. It was then weathered using some rust drybrushing, and a couple washes with dark sandy colors. Finally, the wear ares were picked out with a #2 pencil by rubbing it along high spots.

Enough talk, here she is:

More here.

As always, all comments are welcomed.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:11 PM UTC
Grate jog "Heavy"! It's always good to see work coming form you my friend.
Now if I can just get my butt in gear and get some projects done!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 12:10 AM UTC
Thanks Cavey. This was a fun build and I really like how it turned out.
glock17c
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 08:54 AM UTC
Dear Gino,

Sorry for replying so late in this thread.

I have 2 major problems in the finishing stage:

1. The general color looks too pinky and not an IDF color, or it is the photography.
I like the tone of Humbrol 72 as a base color for late 60's and early 70's. Humbrol 84 is the similar to IDF color of the 80's and later. I think that weathering and using some pastels, can change the whole appearence.

2. The markings are completely a mismatch, as they cannot go one with the other. I will start with the ID number. It cannot be #814nnn. The Tirans that were captured in 1967 were marked #109nnn, while those captured in 1973 were marked #130nnn and #131nnn. The 11ג cannot go with the Chevron and-or the 1. The Number 2 on red is representing the number of the battalion. So this should also be indicated by 2 white straps on the main gun (not 1).

After this build, I will recommend respraying of the model, with the right base collors and paint the right insignia.

Hope you are not mad on me

Michael Mass
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 12:37 PM UTC
Thanks Mike, but you are way too late. I couldn't find any good references to markings and went with a few I saw in pics I had found. This was actually a commission build and the buyer didn't know, nor really care, what the markings were. The color is probably the photography. It is what it is and in the end, the buyer loved it.
 _GOTOTOP