1/72 Kingtiger w/zimmerit - Dragon
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi folks,

This is my second AFV, in this case I tried to use more weathering technics than in my first model. The kit is strait from the box. For the weathering process I follow the technics that are depicted in the book "FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions About AFV Painting Techniques" by Mig Jimenez.

Any comment is welcome.

GungaDin
thenorm
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 03:12 AM UTC
very nice...
Which turret it it? It looks diffrent from what I'm used to...
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 03:21 AM UTC
thenorm, this Kingtiger is a Porsche turret one, am not an AFV expert, but a far as I know the first Kingtigers were equipped with this turret, but soon these was changed and the main production was done with the more common Henschel turret.

GungaDin
thenorm
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 05:34 AM UTC
ah, thanks!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
Felipe,

Welcome to Armorama and to the Braille scale forum. You have done a marvellous job on the Tiger and even more so when one considers the scale. I hate to mention it, but did you have trouble with joining the tracks? In the pictures it looks like on each side there is a little bit of the track overlap curling up a touch. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix if these are the DS styrene tracks. I ask this question because I have a JagdTiger in my stash waiting to be built and will watch for this potential.

Thanks for sharing and hope to see more of your work posted here.

Cheers,
Jan
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi Jan,

I forgot to glue the tracks...upsss, that is why they look like that...this is my second AFV (am a aircraft guy)...so, I will fix it, and post new pics...

Thank you for your comments.

Felipe
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 03:08 PM UTC
@Gungadin - Felipe,

Welcome to Armorama. Nice job on your Kingtiger, I like the camouflage you applied and weathering. I too started with aircraft models, now I can't remember the last time I put a wingy thing together? I hope you enjoy armor kits as much as we do here, there is so much more available than in previous years so you're starting at a good time.

On your next WWII German tank don't go and blacken the muzzle brake as much as you have on this one. The German's used an almost smokeless ammunition round in there tanks. Some of there ammunition even had a tracer burning at the back of the round so the gunner could watch it all the way to the target. This would have been useless if the ammunition produced a lot of smoke after firing the main gun.

Thanks for sharing and posting your build here. Hoping to see more of your work.
-Eddy
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your comment, am really not an expect at all about AVFs. I will have this issue in mind for the next Kingtiger (the Revell Henschel turret). As I say, am an aircraft guy...am doing two of them right now, Bloch MB-200 and a Devastator...all in 1/72. If you are interested in my work just go to www.solomaquetas.com and find the ones made by Zero! (that´s me!). I started to do AFV just for fun...and a little variation...and love them, but multi piece tracks are my nemesis...any advice in this matter is welcome.

Cheers,

Felipe
cetinsarf
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 10:13 AM UTC
Great job, congragulations. =)
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC
Thank you Cetin!!

Felipe
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
nice job

one comment though

it's important to join the upper and lower hull carefully so there's no space, gap visible looking on the glacis.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HTH

spit
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hi Pawel, thank you for your comment, I didn´t notice it...so I check it...but in plain sight is impossible to see it...me be it’s an issue with the light or the angle of the picture. Here are more pictures:

Felipe
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 08:19 AM UTC
Very nice job, Felipe. Despite the few small things that people have mentioned it is difficult to see that it might be Braille scale. As for any issues with picture taking, I have found that even my inexpensive camera shows flaws that aren't there even under magnification. To correct for this I have started taking more pictures at slightly different angles to look for irregularities. I have even gone too far with trying to correct a supposed flaw that the camera shows that ends up really messing things up. Thanks for sharing and hope to see more of your work.

Regards,
AJ
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 01:29 PM UTC
AJB thank you very much for your comments, and of course I will post more works here...

Felipe
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
Hi Felipe

great looking model you have posted for us !

the macro lens of the camera always shows up the little bits that the eye disregards, its always hard to get perfection in the braille scale, I'm sometimes in horror when the camera exposes bits that my eye couldn't when I take pictures of my models.

the paintjob is great, and I dont know if the kit came with the zimmerit finish moulded into the plastic, but if you did it yourself its very good.

hope you continue with braille armour and post a few more for us

cheers
Neil
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 02:40 PM UTC
Gungadin – Felipe,

It took me a while before I was able to find your work on the web link you provided, I am not as efficient with my Spanish as I use to be. I liked your kit bashed Supermarine Seafire Mk III but my favorite is your rendition of the Hawker Hurricane Mk IIC. Thanks for providing us with the link to your modeling home base. It is always wonderful to see builds of modelers from around the world.

Felipe, I wish I could provide you with an answer to help you out with the tracks on armor models but I can’t. I am currently struggling along with a set of length and link tracks for a Russian tank I am building. This part usually takes me the longest to complete on armored scale vehicles.

-Eddy
Gungadin
Visit this Community
Chile
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 05:02 AM UTC
Thank you Neil and Eddy,

To answer to your comments/questions;
1) The kit came with the zimmerit, which for someone like me, a rookie in AFVs, is a very nice touch.
2) Next time I will pay more attention or maybe I will take pictures during the building progression or use a magnifying glass to spot these issues.
3) So, regarding the tracks, I guess that everyone uses its own way...I will have to practise more regularly.

And again, thank you guys for your comments..and of course I will post more kits, am currently working on a Pz 38(t) Ausf C (UM) and a Pz III Ausf F (Attack).

Cheers,

Felipe
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 10:50 PM UTC
Hi Felipe,

Welcome to Armorama. Well done with the build, I have this kit and it is a big plus to have the Zimmeritt already in place. Your paint job is very good, but if you are an aircraft modeller then it shouldn't be new to you doing camouflage. You have gone for the heavy weathering option, which you have done very well and are to be congratulated. I would say, however, that you should study photos of WWII tanks, the vast majority don't have that much chip damage and this debate has gone on over several forums about 'chipping' and rust. Personally I prefer to weather with dust and mud and leave chipping to a minimum. That is my personal preference though, if you want to give full rein to your artistic talents, then chip away - it's what works for you.

Keep up the good work, all the best,

Paul
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 11:25 PM UTC
Really nice wee model, you will find this site incredibly useful and the members very supportive I've learnt loads of stuff and feel my skill level has greatly increased since participating. One wee thing about your tracks... you can see the join along the bottom run why not move the join to the upper run beneath the side skirts out of sight.
 _GOTOTOP