_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Dragon ZSU-23-4 versions
MandrakePOE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 09:26 PM UTC
I understand Dragon had two Shilka boxings: ZSU-23-4V1 & ZSU-23-4M

I know the later '4M' has, in real life, a few differences namely a different version of the same cannon featuring different loading system and collant pipes however what I don't know is if any of these changes would be visible externally or not?

Is there any difference therefore between the two dragon boxings in terms of plastic?

Would also appreciate any insight into the quality and accuracy of these kits.

Regards,

Mandrake
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand Dragon had two Shilka boxings: ZSU-23-4V1 & ZSU-23-4M

I know the later '4M' has, in real life, a few differences namely a different version of the same cannon featuring different loading system and collant pipes however what I don't know is if any of these changes would be visible externally or not?

no

Quoted Text

Is there any difference therefore between the two dragon boxings in terms of plastic?

Yes, the main differences are covered. Third access door at the left hull side (M).
Right turret side (different access panels and reinforcement ribbs).
Vent- and gun cover (M)
Gun guard (V)

Quoted Text

Would also appreciate any insight into the quality and accuracy of these kits.

There are some aftermarket parts like turned barrels or road wheels and tracks available but i think both kits will turn out to nice models straight oob.
I added the interior set from Kirin to mine but it will be hard to get now. The set of Trakz looks good too but i guess it provides no ammo magazines.

Happy modelling
Harald

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 11:51 PM UTC
I use ca glue on all of my models, without problem. I recently traded Dragon's Shilka, because ca glue and Testor's glue did not adhere to the surface. Perhaps super glue or epoxy is the way to go. I just got fed up with it and traded it for Dragon's M1A2. Looks to be the same plastic, however ca and Testor's glue work just fine.
juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC
Both are destined for export version, the first V1:
The body armor at the bottom of the front brace is not (this is the wrong models but it is).
4M version (increased weight) has been fitted with a brace under his nose.
Change in the towers on both sides of the cooling system, the 4M variant is still a big tank on the roof of the tower.
The V1 AZP-23 23mm cannon and machine-Chiller System thinner tubes are solved, it was changed to the 4M variant, and a cover plate is received.
Locator is different between the two versions (due to modernization and planning process), while the V1 version Locator behind two large disc-shaped mounting slot is provided with the 4M variant, it is not available, but got an X-shaped bracing.
4M radar has been integrated version of the IFF.
The vehicle left outside are differences: the two cover V1 version, and saw a middle-term.
4M variant cover 3, the junior saw was.
Two different versions of the command tower.
The original V1 command tower of the three periscope, to intermediate which can be equipped with night vision optics and beam.
The periscope is 4M variant, only two, but it was an optical aiming device, which the commander is able to foresee the goals of the tower and the fire control radar is able to use the virtue of this turn, captured

V1:

juge75
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 06:25 AM UTC
4M:

juge75
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC
And now to the model: Both models of early Dragon, a lot of mistakes.
There is (optional) resin interior (this is really a variant of 4M).
Futógörgőket tracks and more companies also produce it, I am the Master Club Friulmodel white metal wheels and the tracks I'm using.
The weapons and a radio antenna in the upgraded set of Model RB.
Photo of Eduard etched set is produced (only the V1 variant).

And moAmit not yet produced: the top of the engine cooling system of grids (which really is like the real thing), and the nose section of the battery compartment at the beginning of armor plate, because the models is quite different.

Regards, Gábor.
 _GOTOTOP