_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter BTR-60P APC build
OFaolain
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 12:26 AM UTC
OK, I said I wouldn't cos I have both Trophy and Accurate Armour's resin kits, but couldn't resist picking up Trumpeter's new plastic 1/35 BTR-60P kit in Paul's model shop All Models in Dublin yesterday. Started cutting plastic and gluing parts the same day! Very impressive kit.

Here's where I am so far after a few hours of work yesterday evening. Very detailed lower hull. Most of the little bits and bumps you see on the lower hull are separate parts, time consuming but results in impressive detail.

Thanks for looking,
Glen

kamikaze
Visit this Community
Romania
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC
Wow, very good start! Can't wait to see how this will turn out! Good luck with it and many photos for us!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC
Damn- that hull makes the Zvezda BTR-80 kit look like a bath-tub. I'm definetly following this.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 04:51 AM UTC
it does look nicely detailed,keep us posted
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 05:47 AM UTC
lookin good so far, will follow the build, as I have one on the 'to do' list

greetz
OFaolain
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
Thanks guys, got some more work done today. About 5 hours on the lower hull, on and off this morning from about 6am. Rest of the day was dedicated to the kids

As I've said above, the lower hull/suspension is really detailed, and is very time consuming, but so worth it. It's not really difficult, just a LOT of parts involved. Close attention is needed to the instructions as there are many very similar parts, but for opposite sides etc.

Suspension units etc 99% done:

I made a complicated matter even more difficult by turning the front 4 wheels (2 either side) for a more dynamic look (I hope):

Rear hull plate and other details added:

One of the rear suspension/wheel mount units in close up:

One of the front suspension/wheel mount units that I've altered to show steered in close up:

Close up of the rear plate and some details on it. Nice etch detail, generous little sheet is provided in the kit:

Couldn't help jumping ahead a few steps and adding some of the interior and side wall plating etc, just to see how it looked. Looks very promising.......:

Thanks for following along guys, hope it encourages you to get yours outta the stash and building it. It's been way too long since I got stuck into an AFV kit Stay tuned, this one is moving along at a good pace......sign of a great kit I think!

Glen
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
Looks good Glen. have you a colour scheme picked out?
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC
Good work so far Glen....
What's your personal opinion about this kit...?
Positives....Negatives....Do you recommend..?

Good luck...
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 02:03 PM UTC
following this one!!! This would make a great model to mount on the trailer of my MAZ...gonna use the Dragon Shilka I just traded for, but it looks too nice w/ the radar elevated. choices ..choices
OFaolain
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good Glen. have you a colour scheme picked out?

Hi Pat, how you keeping mate? Will go with option C in the colour guide included. Think the symbol denotes it as Naval Infantry? Will give me a chance to do some chipping with the sand colour over the green

Thanks for looking mate,
Glen
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 12:08 AM UTC
Glen- did you alter the wheels to turn yourself or does the kit allow for this?

I've been thinking of that Naval Infantry scheme myself, its a good one.
OFaolain
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good luck...

Thanks Hakan,

My personal opinion would be buy it! Fit and quality is excellent, little tricky here and there, and the suspension components complex due to all the parts, nothing a little time and patience wont get you through.
Lot of seam lines and sink marks, but the majority are where you will never see them. Quality of the cast is super, and sprue layout and build sequence is excellent too, very straightforward.
Only got the lower hull done so far, but based on that I could only highly recommend this kit!!!

Cheers mate,
Glen
OFaolain
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

following this one!!! This would make a great model to mount on the trailer of my MAZ...gonna use the Dragon Shilka I just traded for, but it looks too nice w/ the radar elevated. choices ..choices

Hi Jeff,

Hope the build will be of help. Excellent idea, because I've been trying to figure a way to display it. I want to really show off all that lower hull detail, so am going to place it on a steep raised road, that falls away sharply either side. Viewers can get low and look up slightly and see in under and around that detail.
This would be the same effect given by being placed on a low-loader like your MAZ, which would be a really cool way to display this baby!!!
Am a big fan of the Shilka too, wish I could track down one of those ultra rare resin interiors for it. Have the Eduard set and that should do nicely anyway! You got yours built and finished?

Cheers mate,
Glen
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good luck...

Thanks Hakan,

My personal opinion would be buy it! Fit and quality is excellent, little tricky here and there, and the suspension components complex due to all the parts, nothing a little time and patience wont get you through.
Lot of seam lines and sink marks, but the majority are where you will never see them. Quality of the cast is super, and sprue layout and build sequence is excellent too, very straightforward.
Only got the lower hull done so far, but based on that I could only highly recommend this kit!!!

Cheers mate,
Glen

Thank you Glen....
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 02:31 PM UTC
Glen- I haven't started the build yet. I swore to finish a few paint jobs before starting the Shilka. I to was searching for the interior...so far no luck!! I did purchase the Jordi Rubio barrels for it. guess I suffer from AMS !!!

Also waiting for the PE to be available for the MAZ again...
OFaolain
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Glen- did you alter the wheels to turn yourself or does the kit allow for this?

I've been thinking of that Naval Infantry scheme myself, its a good one.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for following the build mate. Altered the wheel assemblies myself. It's set up for all the wheels to be straight. I had to cut and adjust a number of the wheel hubs, their mounts and attached mechanisms. A little tricky but do-able, takes a bit of time, but hopefully will be worth it. I got that Russian Green modulation paint set you recommended, so will do the green in this, followed by the sand

Cheers mate,
Glen
OFaolain
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
Got a little more work done, not much, but it all adds up Mostly got the driver's cab area and the seats done. Lovely etch detailing for the seats,mounting points, side supports and even a tiny little seat adjustment handle. Like the real vehicle not a hell of a lot going on in the driver's area, but what is there is very nicely done by Trumpeter!

Will check some references and see if I should add some cabling/wiring in there, any suggestions much appreciated
Thanks for looking guys,
Glen
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 09:49 AM UTC
Your PE work look great Glen. You're making it look too easy
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your PE work look great Glen. You're making it look too easy

As Pat says, you appear to be sailing through this. Nice clean build so far Glen. Peeped in earlier, but can´t reall offer anything other than support as I havent a clue what it is . But support may be a good thing ... can´t seem to get going meself. A bit stuck you could say!!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 12:48 AM UTC
Looking good Glen- the interior is class looking with all those small PE parts and I especially like the way the chair has been moulded- with some paint it should look awesome.
OFaolain
Visit this Community
Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi Pat, not easy at all mate, just taking my sweet time about it

Hey Frank, how ya been? Dubs versus Donegal pretty soon for the honour of a place in the All Ireland Final! Will you find a pub over there showing the Gaelic Football?
Thanks for the kind words, support is always welcome. Anything foremost in your mind as to what you'd like to get started even? Might see you at C4 if I can get over?

Karl, I'm really looking forward to the paint on this one, as you say some of the parts are really moulded well, with paintability in mind me thinks, well done Trumpeter!

Cheers guys,
Glen
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC
good job so far Glen, I'm building one simultanious with you, and found the suspension to be a real bugger, to many parts for not enough movement, and the interior parts don't seem to fit proper, the upper hull is wrapped slightly and the holes in the back floorpate (interior) are also un eyesore.

Fit of the wheels on the vehicle is BAD!
I probably have to stick some tape on in order to have them stand up and not fall off.

Lots of seams to clean up and some PE parts where it isn't necessary

a nice kit, but I think this kit was slightly rushed on some parts.

hope to see your "cable" laying skills, there are a lot of cables missing I think

greetz
zapper
Visit this Community
Skċne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

if I can get over?

Don't make me have to come and get you.

Nice progres so far. I might have to get me one of the turret versions after all...

Keep it up mate.
/E
kennethc
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 01:29 AM UTC
Glen, I have the same kit on the bench myself! It's a great build isn't it! Fit and finish are very good. You're doing a great job so far mate. I am almost done with construction on mine... Finishing up the last bits of stuff on the outside of the upper hull. There are a ton of little tiny parts o the deceptively simple looking hull.

Like you i'm going with the green and sand I think...

I can't wait for the BTR 60PB to be released so i can do some wild and worn out 3rd world country subjects.

Keep on working, you're doing great!
Kenneth
 _GOTOTOP