Hosted by Darren Baker
JB Models Saracen
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 12:28 AM UTC
After recently finishing a JB Models Saladin armoured Car, I thought I would continue the theme and tackle a JB Models Saracen APC.

This kit was a $1 bagged special purchased at a buy swap and sell.

So far so good. I have added some better defined headlights and tail lights, blocked in the open top hatch as there is no interior details and replaced some missing parts.

I lowered the axles to achieve a better wheel fit that I noticed was an issue with my earlier Saladin Mk2 build, the trick was achieving all six wheels sitting evenly.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 05:45 AM UTC
Michael,

You have piqued my interest with this one. I like to see what can be done with these old kits. I have a JB Saladin in my stash and have been thinking lately about slipping it in as a simpler build. Could you provide a bit more information about this axle problem and how you managed it?

Thanks,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,

You have piqued my interest with this one. I like to see what can be done with these old kits. I have a JB Saladin in my stash and have been thinking lately about slipping it in as a simpler build. Could you provide a bit more information about this axle problem and how you managed it?

Thanks,
Jan

Jan

If you place the axles as per the location notches in the lower chassis sides, the tops of the wheels almost touch the underside of the chassis top. So the fix is to simply leave the axle undersides slightly proud (about 1-1.5mm) off the bottom of the chassis. This provides a much more inscale clearance, more in keeping for a fully laden Saracen.

My build of the Saladin was great fun and when I get better pics, will post up, along with more progress shots of the Saracen.

It is a pity there are no newer plastic 1:72 kits of these most important post war AFV's. But with some basic work, these JB Models (now Airfix) kits build up a treat.
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 06:54 AM UTC
Now this is a kit that is more my speed. I've seen these JB ones in the past but never had the inclination to buy one. From what I can see the detail doesn't look too bad. You mention that Airfix now distributes these kits? Definitely something that I'll look into. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see this one progress.

Regards,
AJ
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 05:08 PM UTC
More progress.

Base coat of Vallejo Bronze Green on, filters, pin wash and dry brushing.

I had to scratchbuild a new rear number plate as well as some other bits and pieces. However this little British post war vehicle is ready for decals and more weathering.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:35 AM UTC
Appears to be coming along very nicely, Michael. There is something really neat and nostalgic about these. In an odd development at the last local club meeting this past Sunday, one of these gems showed up in the regular raffle draw. Each meeting the club sells tickets for $1 each and numbers are drawn for kits that have been donated for the purpose from various sources. I don't normally participate as the stuff is usually 1/35 but this month there were several older Braille scale kits. Amongst them were an Airfix Bofors with gun tractor, Airfix Pontoon Bridge, JB Land Rover, a couple of 1/72 aircraft and most importantly, a JB Saracen !! I got a couple of tickets and on the first draw one of my numbers was drawn. The process is first come first pick so I grabbed the Saracen. Hmmm, quite the coincidence that you recently started this thread and I end up with one.

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:05 PM UTC
Nice score Jan. It is a great little kit.

i have not done a great deal to it since posting the pics. Family stuff has got in the way as it does from time to time.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 12:32 PM UTC
Finally got this little kit finished. Not taken final pics yet, but here is a pic of the base underway.

The Saracen I have built served in the Malaysian Crisis during the 1950's so the base will look rather green
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
Michael,

Thanks for sharing this build. For me, seeing what can be done with these simple older kits is inspirational (and more my speed). I also get a kick out of those great little bases that you come up with.

Regards,
AJ
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 01:46 PM UTC
@sabredog – Michael,

It’s always good to see your work here. I’m not sure but I think I have one of these little guys in the stash. I like the little turret and the look of the vehicle, reminds me of the early ‘80s show the ‘A Team’ with Mr. T.

I’ll keep droping by to see how your progressing along, your doing really well with the kit and the base looks promising.

~ Eddy
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 02:18 AM UTC
Well the Saracen is completed and on the base. Just need a little time to take a few pics to share.

It is a great kit that was a great build, marred only by three uniform flaws that I had not expected and only on checking with another Saracen kits were they revealed.

Too late in the build to rectify and frankly if you did not know they were there, you would be none the wiser.
USAFSPOOK
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 02:58 AM UTC
Friendship models in the UK has a very inexpensive set of metal replacement wheels and mounts that correct the tread pattern and address the height issue. Needless to say, they can also be used on the Saladin armoured car. I believe they go for 4Pounds Sterling. www.friendshipmodels.org.uk is the address, though once in a while he has them on E-Bay as well. These sets really do help the overall look of these vehicles. The Landrovers would benefit from some new tyres as well--they appear too small and narrow to me. The range of ex-JB models of modern British vehicles really are little gems; CMSC metal figures,also available from Friendship models, really enhance them!!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 05:54 AM UTC
I really like seeing these old kits but I wish that you could grace us with more in progress pictures. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Regards,
AJ
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 04:06 PM UTC
OK

Finally got the pics taken.

New camera, new issues!

I replaced the awful kit Bren gun for a much nicer, though slightly bigger (1:72) white metal casting given to me by a good friend. Thanks Les!

Comments welcome as always
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 04:30 PM UTC
Hi Michael

nice work on the model and base

the red soil you depicted is pretty consistent with what can be seen in Johor in the south of Malaysia

cheers
Neil
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 08:14 PM UTC
G'day Michael. Looks great! The base finishes it off nicely.
What brand of grass and clumped grass did you use on the base?
Cheers,
Tim
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi Tim

I used Silfor tufts and Woodland scenics flocks. The rocks are plaster cast from a Noch mould.

Hope that helps

Mike
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi Michael

Great. Little vignette with big result. The Vihicle is also very nice.
Like your model and the coloring.

Cheers Daniel
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 11:14 AM UTC
Good work Michael....
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 01:16 PM UTC
Thanks Michael. I''ll have a look for them at my LHS. I think they would suit the base I'm going to do for the M113 FSV.
Cheers,
Tim
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 12:05 PM UTC
Tim

Try Irresistible Force or bna hobbies for Aussie distributors of the Silphor tufts.
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

A simple model, but a completion of master. Antennas have been very nice...
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC
Thanks

Eying off the Vickers light tank as highly placed potential build now!
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Excellent little dio, with very convincing ground work.

P.A.
 _GOTOTOP