Street Scene
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Danny,

Thanks for dropping in and the comments.

A little more work on the smoke damage in the rear.

One idea I had thought about was adding some building support timbers to the front?

Also time to get an idea of what it might hold: It will take a decent sized tank:

A tank and small vehcile or cart

or a couple of small vehicles

I have some bricks to add to the interior and possibly the extreior and some grasses on order. The area behind the wall I was thinking of doing as a grave yard with a couple of head stones.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Well a bit more on the building. I did a bit of gardening this afternoon using some of the products from GreenLine. Hopefully this looks like some grasses and weeds along the outside of the wall and some grasses and flowers inside. I plan to add a couple of Head Stones to this small area making it a graveyard so a bit more work to do there. I used 3 different colours of grasses and some flowers applied ina fairly random way.

The grasses come in little turfs which you can apply directly or cut into smaller bits.

In the long term I will probably use this as a generic type base but I've also signed up for the urban campaign. With that in mind I'm currently going down the route of a BEF type scene as I have a couple of early carriers to build at some point.

Finishing the building should then be as a recently damaged one although long term I may add to it with some wooden supports representing a previously damaged building - perhaps under repair. There are good options as to how to finish it.

Al

bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 07:04 AM UTC
Yo Alan,

Nice update!

The wooden supports against the wall is a good detail, I should leave it on the scene.

Keep up!

Greetz Nico
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hi Nico,

Thanks. I think the supports are the way to go, but as I'm using it in the Urban Campaign and the action will be recent, I don't think they would fit the scene. Long term is another matter.

Cheers

Al
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 452 posts
Armorama: 271 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 03:09 PM UTC
Al, I really like the colors and weathering you've achieved. The vegetation adds a lot too. Your style of painting works very well, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish this.

What do you mean by "spur" when you mentioned adding the drain pipe? The drain pipe looks terrific.

I like the GNR kits, and you're showing how nicely they can turn out. I have one in my stash, but GNR kits are hard to find in the U.S.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 06:45 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

Many thanks. Spur, or Spure if you like, just left over plastic that the kit parts are attached to, a bit of the frame.

You could buy direct from GNR but the postage is high becasue of the weight.

Thanks again.

Al

Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 07:50 PM UTC
I think you are meaning Spru / Sprue ?

The "trees" to which our model parts are attached. They are actually the solidified channels though which the liquid plastic flows in the injection moulding die.

Brilliant work btw Allen that down pipe is amazing.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hey Alan, this is coming on very nicely. I like the way you've used the Green-Line stuff around the wall, looks very natural. I would say it might need a bit of light brown grass in it too but overall looks great!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 05:40 AM UTC
Thanks Scott and Karl,

Yes, could never find sprue in the dictionary lol, lol.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi folks,

I've added a little additional brick rubble to see how it might look.

I don't want to over do it so I'll see how it blends in.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi folks,

With a bit of colour and a few sleeping soldiers for fun.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Hmmmm. Anyway grave stones arrived from GNR. You get a set of 12 stones of various types, some are engraved and a couple are blank if you choose to bury someone you know!!!

You also get a couple of newly dug graves, not for use here but may come in handy with a simple wooden cross or rifle and helmet.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi folks,

With a little paint

Al
ophelia53
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 04:39 PM UTC
This is looking fantastic, Alan! Can't wait to see it finished!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 04:01 AM UTC
Thanks for looking in Brandi.

Al
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 452 posts
Armorama: 271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC
Regardless of how sprue is spelled, the down pipe is fantastic! Really well done.

The gravestones are a nice touch as well. They add a lot to the small space. The stones may be a little close to each other, but the space is limited and I think two gravestones create a better visual appeal than just one stone.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. Yes, two seemed better than one, it was a tiny space to do anything with.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hi folks,

One of the figuers I'm intending to use, things are leaning towards Belgium. A Tank officer, one of the Wolf figuers and a really neat one. Needs some dust!

I'll be using these chaps as well with an early carrier.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

These are some civilian figuers from Preiser that I might use with the scene. I have some furniture to build for the house ruin and after or around Christmas I might get to starting on the Bren carriers and maybe a Vickers Light tank.

There are a couple of early war figuers Gerard is doing for Resicast that will fit the scene well to but they are not yet in production.

dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hey Alan, This is shaping up real nice. The wood supports would have been added as soon as civilians started clean up to prevent the building from collapsing, so I think it fits in good. Don't forget the nail heads, maybe one not driven in all the way and bent. Maybe some more brick debri, a few timers and of course some slate from the roof, depends how big the house was, has to be somewhere right. I personaly would thin out the grass on the side walk section a bit though, maybe add a few small tuffs in the cracks of the side walk. And the grave stones look great, even close. If I remember, land space was and is still used as premium space. I think that here in the U.S. we space out more than the Europians due because of the available land space that is usable, after all, the populations been around a lot longer there than here. All in all, looks real good. Great story potential here.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 11:41 PM UTC
Hi Bob,

Thanks for looking in and the thoughts and suggestions. I was undecided about the timber support as it depends on the final context. My plan was to use some early carriers and some BEF and Belgium troops and the idea of a few workmen and civilians is there too.

I probably need to look at a few more war time pics to settle the scene in my mind and complete a few more items for possible inclusion before I settle on the civilian workmen or fleeing civilians scene. Once the campaign is out of the way, I'd also like a scene that I could use as a generic one, simply by switching the vehicles, space always being the issue

Cheers

Al
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 11:01 AM UTC
Ola Alan

That is some sterling job you are doing in that diorama. I like the addition of the Timber supporting the buildings facade. A method which is used throughout times. And it is something you don't see that often in diorama's.

Also thanks for showing the corner of the cemetery. I'm currently planning my head around a large scrapyard diorama and one of the features I liked to have in it was a similar piece of cemetery but kinda wondered what it would look like. Your work actually convinced me it will work. Hope you don't mind me doing something similar.

Which brand are the flowers used there?

Great job. Looking forward to further progress.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 10:43 PM UTC
Nice work Alan, good layout and interesting choice of figures.

I would love to see some more loose fine rubble on the debris. I think it looks to flat (muddy) now. Try to fix the rubble with very thinned wood glue.(sprayed perhaps)

Claude
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hui Robert,

Thanks for looking in and the feedback.

On the flowers, they are from Green Line product GL-301. They come in strips:

2 x 10cm in white
2 x 10 cm in Yellow
2 x 10 cm in red
2 x 10 cm in Violet

There is 'grass' between each bunch.

Hi Claude,

Again, thanks for the feedback. My thoughts were that if I added the timber support then I could add a few workmen cleaning up. I realise there is a shortage of bricks but I also didn't want to completely cover the area as it would lessen the display area.

More food for thought, thanks guys.

Al
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 07:16 AM UTC
Alan, i think you misunderstood my English (still my 4th language after all this years)
I did not mean that you used not enough rubble, but that the rubble looks to flat, regular, sticky, not scattered enough (hopefully there is a word in there who makes my point clear LOL)
One way to do it is to cover your existent rubble with some thinned wood glue, sprinkle more dust over it and leave it to dry. Don't cover it with more glue.

Hope this helps
Claude