1/48 HELLCAT
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 06:15 AM UTC
I got it out of the box this morning

1/48 Kengi (model maker Ken Swenson out of Sherman Oaks, CA)
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 06:01 PM UTC
I'm still fine-tuning the sanding and filling of the turret halves and upper to lower hull is still separate so no exterior tools, etc are added yet. I picked out a pair of Gasoline figures to fit the turret (pretty perfect I think ). You can't see much of the interior below the turret so I won't be adding too much painting detail down there. I have to say, this was a very fun build to do, and I liked building the interior. Comments always welcome

GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 08:33 PM UTC
I'm still waiting for some Tamiya OD paint from China so I can close up the hull and finish the outer gear. Today I realized I could at least finish the turret so here it is. Also, the TD I chose "I Don't Want A"

http://books.google.com/books?id=vL5wBoIbHPgC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=hellcat+i+don't+want+to+zaloga&source=bl&ots=X99dwKh8Iu&sig=_Ve1LFsgBEHEpgUL97d4rYdFors&hl=en&ei=kjBtTqrJOpTSiAK6rN23Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 05:55 PM UTC
I finished my build! I made my Hedgecutter with 'I' beams and strips and made some headlight protecters. The only thing I'm worried about is the resin barrel warping/bending, so I'm ordering a metal replacement from Gasoline. Glad I didn't spend much time on painting the interior as I just primed this and forgot to cover the hole - Doh!

MrPurser
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 03:07 AM UTC
hi Greg
I like it on hedgecutter detailing...
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 06:26 PM UTC
Thanks for the confidence Gokce. I think I like the idea of getting the cutter a nice rusty look.

I moved ahead tonight and got the green base coat on everywhere now. I'm moving ahead with finishing it, and I figure I can always saw off that barrel and paint one later if needed. I also used the Verlinden US star mask for the first time today on my Pershing build and I love it! Highly recommended. I'll get pics latter on with more progress.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 06:35 PM UTC
Greg mate ,,what a wonderful little kit ..great detail and a nice build to dude .,i still wont do 1/48 ( ain't got any bits for them ) but hell it don't stop me enjoying other peoples work .. well done matey

Phill
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 06:39 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing your build with us Greg. I've been really interested in this kit but I haven't been able to find any reviews or builds with good photos of it.
I wouldn't worry about the interior too much as the figures will fill the turret pretty well in this scale, and the figures look good btw.
MrPurser
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the confidence Gokce. I think I like the idea of getting the cutter a nice rusty look.

I moved ahead tonight and got the green base coat on everywhere now. I'm moving ahead with finishing it, and I figure I can always saw off that barrel and paint one later if needed. I also used the Verlinden US star mask for the first time today on my Pershing build and I love it! Highly recommended. I'll get pics latter on with more progress.

I am offering u , dont try do so much rusty surface on this hedgrerow cutter.I "BELİEVE" that , that kind of US made cutters has been taken from German Tank traps laid to Normandy beaches.So they didnt used as long as highly effected surfaces from rust...
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 04:16 PM UTC
Thanks guys.

I agree I like models of any scale, it just happens 1/48 fits my cupboards nicely and I inherited the old Bandai series from my dad so that was my start back into modelling.

Jeremy, resin kits just require a little more sanding and test fitting, but usually turn out well. Just use the Superglue brush applicator on them.

I'll check out some Normandy pics to get a color match there - thanks for the tip

heading to the shed......
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 06:29 PM UTC

I sprayed some stars but looks like they'll need some tidying up. Any tips for this? -- just carefully brush some thinned base color?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 07:21 PM UTC
It looks like your pressure may have been a little too high or maybe you were a little too close. Can you gently darken the overspray as you start weathering your build? It looks like you may be able to take care of it with some careful and selective application of whatever products you're going to use.

Another thought is that if you sealed the base layer then you should be able to gently buff the overspray off, that's what I do on large scale projects. They usually have more paint on them so try that at your discretion.

I was wondering if there is a photo listing of his kits? I'm looking at getting some around the end of this month and it would be helpful to see some of the kits beforehand. The Hellcat is definitely on that list after seeing your work here.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy, unfortunately he doesn't have pics, so you have to google each kit name and hope to find one someone has started.

This was my second large star attempt here. The first time it was a white blob because it is hard to get the mask close enough between the light guards. MAybe the 3rd time can be the charm, but I'll try to make this work first. I don't usually seal my models.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 04:13 AM UTC
Nice build Greg. It's coming together really well. Hopefully it will not be too much trouble to correct the overspay on the white star. I like the idea though.

Dave.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 09:42 AM UTC
Looking good Greg,you really are Mr 1/48. !!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 04:42 PM UTC
I am what I am
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community