staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
Okay...so I am not ussually the one touting new campaign ideas. But after looking over the Normandie Commemorative site (a great site by the way) and seeing another post where users were mentioning the idea of a D-Day campaign to commemorate the 60th anniversary of D-day (apologies to ModlrMike as he was trying to promote the idea of a Market Garden campaign).

To be honest I think a D-Day Campaign that spans all our focus areas (a/c, afv, figures, dioramas, and warships) would be a GREAT idea. The campaign could be divided into each focus and have slightly different rules and objectives for each. Perhaps all could share the same "easter egg" type requirement to make it fun.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jim
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
Count me in....hmm...this would be a good time to try a DDSherman!! But really Jim I like this idea...I was in on the Op Barb campaign...but certain things kept me from finishing my project on time. I need to get back to "finishing" some models, and the campaigns are a great way for me to get back into the "groove".
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:13 PM UTC
i would definately be in... I have been itching to get a sherman built. I think it would be cool..... Never done a Sherman before - this would be a good excuse.

Later-
Jeff
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:31 PM UTC
Sounds like a great idea Jim, My grandfather went ashore at Normandy with the big red one and was the only survivor of his landing craft. He spent 2 years in a hospital and could only eat soup for one of those years. I think it would be a great way to honor him and the rest of those heroric men on that beach that day.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC
Jim:
I love the idea. Count me in the fig department (hmm.... the Warriors 200MM Bar gunner comes to mind).
As far as an X-factor, make it as generic as possible and I think that will attract a higher number of people to the build. the nice thing with this operation is it was air, sea, land (and figures!!) so it will cover the whole site.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:17 PM UTC
I'd be in. I like the idea of a cross discipline campaign.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
I'm in.....would the fact that I try to always put my piggy number on tanks that have no complete numbers count as an easter egg? (++) also,would I be able to use a diorama of troops,or a jeep in that bocage,or maybe just some airborne after there drop in the bocage?
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
Jim, as I said in the afore mentioned thread " I'M IN ". Now my question is will this be a contest type campaign or one like the rest. I think some of the shops advertising on the site would be more than happy to sponsor this campaign. But that's for you to decide! Now what am I going to build for this campaign? Will do another Centaur breeching the Atlantic wall, or maybe a nice sherman BARV. Who knows!!! STUG
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:19 PM UTC
No need to apologize, Jim. I was actually just asking about the status of a previously proposed Market-Garden while at the same time suggesting D-Day as a sixth campaign for 2004. I think that as the operation was "all arms" we could make it all inclusive and cover the major focus areas. I'm willing to head up one of the "divisions". I even have my diorama idea sorted out.
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:22 PM UTC
Sakes alive! I'm definitely in this one! Love the idea! With hopefully a great level of participation, there should be many varied and interesting subjects to behold. Great idea Jim...sign me up!

John
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

apologies to ModlrMike as he was trying to promote the idea of a Market Garden campaign

Actually that was me starting some weeks ago... I'm still gonna propose a Campaign and if rejected make it a group build. I found out a lot of people are hoping for this Marked Garden build to go on..... so it will, one way or the other.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
I'm in! I assume it would be slated to start June 5, 2004, but the start date will be put off a day because of the weather?

Peter
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Jim

I'm all for Campaigns that are as inclusive as possible. :-)

What do you mean by "Easter Egg" requirement?... (sorry, I've only done 2 campaigns...)... whatever, this should be one heck of a build :-) :-) :-)

All the best

Rowan
NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:14 AM UTC
I'm in ....
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
good idea.i will be in with a figure or dio.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
I would support this campaign. Having attended the 45th anniversary celebration way back in 1989 (was it that long ago?), and observing some of the ceremonies at Omaha Beach as well as visiting Gold, Sword, Juneau and getting my SUV stuck in the sand on Utah Beach, this military operation holds a special place in my heart.

Great idea Jim. You could also "break" the campaign into several smaller "operations", one for armor, figures, aircraft, warships, (dios?), etc. and have a moderator for each operation, naming each operation after one of the five Normandy landing beaches.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 153 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
Sounds like a great idea.. Count me in too..
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:37 AM UTC
Great idea !
Would it only be "operations on june the 6th" or "operations in June" ?
Because, there wasn't so much fighting away from the beaches and the DZs on the 6th.
If people want to show tanks operating in the bocage, you'd have to wait for a few days later !

Anyway, I'll be in !
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
Well gotta love the Brits!!! They came to the rescue of modelers for the 6th June. I'll probably end up with another of the great Centaur Tanks from Tamiya, but I'd love to build Resicast's Sherman Barv. There are also a slew of other sherman conversion that were used on the 6th of June. For those German Fans: Here's your chance to build a destroyed Sherman. Most that landed on the 6th were destroyed as they made it to shore. As far as I can tell the only type of tank that did survive in good numbers was the good old Centaur of the Royal Marines!!! STUG
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:04 AM UTC
I have the name of the Campaign for sure....

O P E R A T I O N    O V E R L O R D

A 60th Anniversary Campaign of Remembrance

:)

Jim
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
I'm In. When ever it starts I'll be there.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
That's the question. Do we start it early in the year with a June 6th finish date? Or on June 6th? The former seems more in tune with the preperations feeling of the original event.

Rob - I like the idea of breaking it down into 5 sub-ops. I was imagining something a bit structured but wide enough to allow a lot of room to manuver. For one suggestion...

FIGURES

Enlisted Level:
Any figure, any scale, historically accurate to D-Day time period.

Veteran Level:
Vignette with allied paratrooper and up to 2 other figs. 1/35 scale.

Elite Level:
Diorama depicting Ranger assault on Pointe du Hoc. 1/35 scale.

I know this multi-level stuff makes it a bit more complex but it also allows for more specific subjects and build levels.

Cheers,
Jim
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:08 AM UTC
I would like to join in as well. On the finish date, june 1st would be perfect, in my opinion. Then all the models could be ready to display on June 6th for the actual anniversary. Then its only a matter of proposing a start date. As for what I build ... I guess time will tell!

When we were orgnising "operation cover-up" we brought in both threads .... trench warfare and artillery emplacement... to make one bigger campaign the brought in the maximum amount of people and also to ease the campaign schedule. This could also be done for the d-day and market garden ideas...... and would suit most of the folks that were originally interested. Its not easy to keep all happy all the time. Anyways ...Looking forward to this one!! Whatever happens it should be great show!8)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's the question. Do we start it early in the year with a June 6th finish date? Or on June 6th? The former seems more in tune with the preperations feeling of the original event.

How about we wait for you to tell us "John has a long mustache?"

Quoted Text

Rob - I like the idea of breaking it down into 5 sub-ops. I was imagining something a bit structured but wide enough to allow a lot of room to manuver.

I was thinking along these lines:
Gold: Aircraft
Sword: Warships
Juneau: Dios(?)
Omaha: Figures
Utah: Armor

You could always beakdown within each operation into the various levels like OOB, aftermarket, master/scratchbuild.
 _GOTOTOP