_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
RPM vs Mirage
magicsub
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 02:57 AM UTC
I really like those Polish kits of obscure WW2 tanks, however, both companies have both made thier own versions of a few tanks, and I cannot decide which is better. I know mirage has english translations in its instructions as well as detailed painting guides and generally better instructions,

Vickers E MK A
7tp twin turrets

RPM and Mirage make both of them. Which kit is better? I would be glad if anyone can help.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 03:11 AM UTC
Cool subject, Magicsub. I have nothing to add to the conversation, except when you're ready to build take a look at the "Light Tanks" campaign or the still-forming "Armor Between the Wars" campaign, because your kit would fit right in!
I'll be watching this forum to see which one I will be going with for the Armor Between the Wars myself.
thanks for posting,
-Sean H.
edit: I just double-checked, and I see the "between the wars" isn't a formal campaign yet...
magicsub
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
I might join a campaign. But in my lifetime I have only built two models so I might not be as great as some people.
Frank3K
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 12:14 PM UTC
I recently finished the RPM Pz.Inz.126, which is based on their 7TP/Vickers line of tanks.

I just looked at pictures of the sprues for a Mirage 7TP and the parts and part layout look identical to the sprues in my kit.

If the two series of kits are not based on the same molds, they are extremely similar, especially in terms of the relatively low pressure molding and large sprue gates. For example, many of their vertical parts (like the sides of the turrets) lack rivet details.

The Pz.Inz.126 did not fall together out of the box, but it wasn't a tough build, either. You'll want to add missing details (or replace some of the kit ones) and take your time removing the parts from the sprues, but i found it to be a fun kit to put together.

One thing that I didn't like were the vinyl tracks. They have flash and can be difficult to put together. RPM sells a set of individual plastic track links for this series of tanks (RPM 35901) but it's expensive ($12-$14; about as much as the tank kit) and time consuming.
magicsub
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 03:39 AM UTC
I think I will go with the Mirage ones. I plan on also getting a PZ.INZ 126 too. This is the list of tanks I might be getting.

RPM T-26/BT turret
Mirage 7TP double turret
RPM PZ.INZ
Mirage VIckers E MK A and B

does anyone know anything about these kits? I built RPMs T-26A and it was great, only problem was the tracks and machneguns.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 03:47 AM UTC
All I can say is I hope they are better than Esci's 72 tracks. Those are a vinyl that doesn't glue and are too long.
caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
It's well worth having a look here

http://ampsnz.hobbyvista.com/articles/Research/WWII/Russia/Tank/Russian%20Light%20Tank%20Kits%20in%201%2035th%20scale.pdf

The author has has a look at a lot of soviet light tank kits, and their producers, the key bits for you are the T7P history begining around page 42

basically an original T7P (spojnia) kit was taken in various directions by Mirage and RPM (who shared manufacture/distribution at one point), both modifiying or mearly renaming it as a t26... this may suggest which boxings will have the newest/best parts for what you want
magicsub
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 03:39 AM UTC
@Matt: The tracks are actually worse, they are too short!!

Rather then start up a new topic altogether, Has anyone had any expierience with either RPM and Mirage TK tankettes? The RPM ones are extremely cheap, selling at 4 euros each.
 _GOTOTOP