Hosted by Darren Baker
JB Models Saladin Mk2 Armoured Car
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 03:51 PM UTC
A thoroughly enjoyable little kit with no real vices.

I replaced the front and rear lights, replaced the stumpy aerials and improved the canvas barrel cover (so it looked like canvas!)

The bottom pic seems to show the rear wheel "floating" but all three wheels are firmly on the base

I enjoyed building this kit so much I have already started the JB Models Saracen APC and am looking at more of the range, either original or Airfix re-boxings.

As per usual, comments are most welcome.
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi

Nice model you have build.
This one i havent see often. The build and coloring is very clean.
Maybe you can make the base more interesting....

Cheers Daniel
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 02:56 AM UTC
@Sabredog - Michael,

That's a really cool looking vehicle! Super job! I like it all. Your bases always look great, I really need to build up some skills in that area of modeling as mine look awful. Did purchase the Woodland Scenes book for creating groundwork, hope this will help me.

Anyhow terrific job on the build and base, waiting to see more of your builds in the 76th scale range - OUTSTANDING!

-Eddy
Firefly74
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hi Michael, another fine build, and another great little base.
These era vehicles are not an often covered subject which is shame as there quite interesting. I'll be popping over to have a look at your Saracen!

What unit markings are the decals? The green square with a bird? looks familiar.
How did you make the canvas barrel cover? I'am currently making the Airfix (ex JB models as well I believe) M113 FSV that has the same turret and was thinking of using tissue paper and pva glue?
Cheers,
Tim
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael, another fine build, and another great little base.
These era vehicles are not an often covered subject which is shame as there quite interesting. I'll be popping over to have a look at your Saracen!

What unit markings are the decals? The green square with a bird? looks familiar.
How did you make the canvas barrel cover? I'am currently making the Airfix (ex JB models as well I believe) M113 FSV that has the same turret and was thinking of using tissue paper and pva glue?
Cheers,
Tim

That's not a bird, those are crossed Khukri Knives on a Green background.

Keith.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers,
Tim

Tim

You certainly could use tissue paper and PVA. The barrel canvas sleeve as supplied in the kit is smooth, tapering down to the barrel end. I simply distressed the plastic to create floods such as a canvas cover should have.

Worked well once painted up.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hey Michael, don't know how this one slipped by me. Another cool little nostalgic beast, and another that I have in the stash. Any problems with the build of this one? As usual, your little bases are super. How do you get the grass tufts to stand up like they do?

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi Jan

No issues at all with this little build.

Cannon barrel drilled out
Rebuilt front and rear lights
Improved the canvas over on the barrel
Guitar wire aerials

All straight forward easy stuff to improve the appearance.

The tufts of grass are made by Silfor. They are available in many sizes and shades of green dependent on season.
 _GOTOTOP