_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4 Sherman "Cannonball", Dragon 1/72
franziska44
Visit this Community
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 08:32 AM UTC
This time I’ve done something different. Using Dragon’s kit:

I wanted to do the “Cannonball” Sherman from Utah beach:

(http://en.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/80325/start/20)
The tank was easy to build. Only 2 or 3 little things to correct. I mean the stuff to fix the rocket launchers on the turret. Painted with Humbrol’s. The tank itself looks ok to my, but I’m not satisfied with the terrain. Maybe it’s because it is my first time with stuff like still water. Nevertheless I’ve learnt something what will be useful while building “Cannonball” in 1/35.

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hey Robert
That is an admirable effort in 1/72!
I know the photo well and the scene has come up fine in my eyes. I think the problem you face is having the sloped edges of the base sand coloured and textured, which can trick the viewer into thinking this was the lay of the beach proper. The timber trim lifted to be at 'water' level would be more effective in containing the scene as needed to be presented?
Brad
P.S. That sand effect on the tank itself is great! Did you know the tank was salvaged and put back into action?
Dirkpitt289
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 - 01:28 AM UTC
What a great build. I would like to know more of how you built the base and the weathering of the tank itself
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 - 07:49 AM UTC
I really like it. The one thing I would add is more fine sand or pigment powder to the beach area as it kinda has a 'Blob effect' being painted the same as the rest of the base. Maybe play with the wood base and side colors to be a neutral gray or something that doesn't distract as much from your scene. Great job on the tank and water scene!
 _GOTOTOP