_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR 40 Question
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi All,

Quick question, did the Soviets take the BTR 40 to Afghanistan? or had it been replaced by then?

Many thanks.

Steve aka Redprol
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 05:08 AM UTC
I'm fairly certain the Russians didn't use them in Afghanistan but I think the Afghan forces fighting with the Russians had some.
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 05:25 AM UTC
Thanks Karl,

Have to admit havent seen any refs to it in Afghanistan, i knew the DRA had some but not sure about numbers.
Love your BTR 80, just trying the modulation set on an old Zevzda BTR70 i had half built, awaiting the new Trumpeter BTRs to go the whole hog, hoping for an 80 and 152 soon.

Steve
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 06:19 AM UTC
I'm not sure about numbers either. Wikipedia says 100 were ordered but I don't trust Wikipedia.
I've seen pictures of Afghan Army versions on parade in Kabul in 1968- the right side markings show a white circle with a triangle in the middle (triangle may be just the vehicle color but it could also be black- photos aren't great) in front of the rear wheel, rougly in line down from the Gunner's position. There also appears to be another marking toward the rear behind the rear wheel well, it looks like a yellow Hexagon shape framing something in red. Thats the best I can do right now. Will try and get some more info for you.

I was going to buy some of the old Zvezda and Skif BTRs a while ago but then Trumpeter announced all those nice new kits so I figure I'll just wait around for those. I believe an 80 and a 152 are on the cards, not totally sure.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the BTR-80A. I found the modulation technique a lot of fun to do and I'm planning on doing another green one on a new BTR release, maybe the 40.
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 07:11 AM UTC
Karl, Thanks any help re Afghanistan will be gratefully recieved, Soviet or DRA, looking forward to more of your builds, the BTR 80 inspired me to give the modulation a go, also hoping Trumpeter will go all the way with the Soviet stuff they have served us well so far, but im sure im not alone in having a wish list thats very long. What would be heaven for me a Tetra truck series, and some dicent Ural trucks.

Regards

Steve
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 04:50 AM UTC
Steve, I did a few searches in Russian and came up empty. I don't speak the language so its a bit of a hindrance- you might want to ask one of the Russian guys around here- they might have more luck.
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 07:01 AM UTC
See standard Afghan insignia of that time - it was used on aircrafts and armoured vehicles:

Yes - the Afghans had used BTR-40 in some amounts, and those APCs were used in some combat.

As for Soviets - they had used BTR-40 in Afghanistan in very small quantity. But, for example, 33rd Mechanized Infantry Regiment had these APCs in it's inventory, and the rumours are exists, that it's BTR-40 were used in combat. Sorry - no photos.
Redprol
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 07:37 AM UTC
Eduard, Karl,

Many thans, i too spent most of the day searching and came up with zero.
But thats life sometimes.

Steve
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 07:14 PM UTC
Please note:
grey square on image of Afghan insignia IS NOT the part of this insignia. This grey square is simply background.
 _GOTOTOP