_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3 Burma Lee
trex10
Visit this Community
Upper Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 11:47 PM UTC
Hi all,

I am collecting facts and pictures for my next build, which should be a M3 Lee (Academy) in Burma.
Even I have used the search machine here, I have one specific question, not yet answered:

The 150th RAC has specific aerial mounts on the left front fender of the M3 Lee:

Source: http://www.smallscaleafv.com/Downloads/M3LeeMk1_01.jpg

or

Source: http://www.smallscaleafv.com/Downloads/M3LeeMk1_02.jpg

or here, although I suppose these one is from the 3rd Carabiniers

Source: http://www.armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/Lee/M3_11.jpg

My question: On other photos, all of this M3 has even the "standard" arerial mount, means on left side behind turret, and one (or two ?) aerials on the left front fender.
Can anyone advice me if this tanks had fitted the wireless No 19 set with their "standard" antenna configuration, and if, which one is where fitted and for what is the 3rd antenna on the front fender (if it is an antenna) ?

Many thanks in advance.

Erich
aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 08:57 PM UTC
not sure about the info your asking for but watch this space as i have a resin kit i have made for a commonwealth m3 lee as australia used the same model of m3. but doing research was a nightmare. no solid timelines on a particular mod. and so on. so i made it with deleated side door option and a reworked turret for the m3 grant capola and optional air-vents and optional engine deck and rear hull plate for different engine options. no interior engine details.

but then again this was also done at the same time i did the aussie M3a5 post-war kit. so its all useable with specific units.
pm me if your interested. cheers
trex10
Visit this Community
Upper Austria, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your answer.
In fact, there is not much clear info about the British tanks in the Burma campaign.

I have in the meanwhile found this picture of a M3 Lee, of 3rd carabiniers

Source: http://www.scribd.com/doc/60258845/Vanguard-06-The-Lee-Grant-Tanks-in-British-Service, page 46

It shows clearly the attachement of the 2 aerials for the No. 19 radio set, on the left front fender, so how to integrate them is now clear for me.
But some other pictures show´s even an antenna on the "standard" M3 Lee antenna mount, on the left upper hull side, behind the turret (see on my 1st attached picture of "CALEDONIAN"), and I have no idea for which radio set this one belongs.

Erich
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC
There are a number of possibilities for a third antenna. If it is the same size and length as one of the no 19 set antennas, then I'd suspect that the vehicle is a command tank and has an extra A or B set installed for the command net. If, on the other hand, the third antenna doesn't look like a normal No 19 set antenna, then I'd bet it was for a No 38 set, the standard infantry "manpack" radio so that the vehicle could easily communicate with the infantry unit they were to support.

You can also see by your phtoos that there was no "standard" position for these antennas on the fender. The depot that modified each tank put them where convenient "somewhere on the left fender" and let it go at that.

HTH

Paul
jimmythedog
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the photos and info, Erich. I'm at work on a Burma Lee as well. I added Formations suspension and overall tried to improve onthe Academy product. But true enough, the reference material is slim. (Not a pun).
It still seems to be the forgotten war. Maybe we can change that!
Mike Winters
trex10
Visit this Community
Upper Austria, Austria
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 06:05 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info about the No 38 set, which is new for me.
This seems to be the most logical answer for this 3rd antenna, because in Burma the tanks were mainly used for infantry support (if I interpretate the infos I found correctly).
On the other hand, if it would be an antenna for an command tank, than their must have been a lot of M3 Lee command tanks in Burma...

Mike,

I am actually in the phase of collecting the model, (detail) parts and infos.
My idea is to go on with an Academy Grant, Limited Ed. (the one with the corrected boggies and the MIni Art-Figures inside).
I even catched a "Burma M3 Lee" Tank Detail Set from Harper Castings, but I am not sure to use the turret included in the set, maybe I switch to the Legend M3 Lee turret.

But before to start, I have to finish an M3A1 Scout Car in the Lybian desert.
In fact, I am a bit surprised that their is not too much info about this campaign....
So every Information about M3 Stuart/Lee/Grant and M4 Sherman V in Burma is welcome

Erich
 _GOTOTOP