Hosted by Darren Baker
wip on some 1/35th US Tanker
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 785 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC
Here is a little project I,ve been working on for a few months off and on. It features a Sherman tank crew taking a rest break. During the early part of WW2. It's main figure is the soldier Reading his letter from home,and one of the crewmen, who didn't get mail trying to read over his shoulder. The tank commander and another talking about mail, and the figure setting on top how will be a mystery.
Everything about the tank section with the exception of the transmission cover, drive socket, and road wheels are made from plastic stock or melted sprue. The treads are cast from an original in three pieces, then copies made. I'm not a big fan of individual track-links

Everything is in a multi color because of the various colors of sprue used mostly for the figures.
Ok as you can tell I,m not an armour kind of guy but would like some input to improve my skills.
I'm just asking here, not begging, If anyone has tank kit parts thier not ever going to use I could put them to use., got to be easier than casting individaul trank links in three pieces. Any way thanks for looking
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 10:55 PM UTC
I can't believe no one has given you any feedback Anthony.

From my perspective your concept is very appealing. Your figure construction and placement are very well done and I can't wait to see them with some colour. They portray a very relaxed natural scene which is still played out today.

From your photos its very hard to tell but the glacies plate looks like it is not steep enough and you might want to revisit to bow MG as it looks like a blob of plastic. But I'm not a Sherman expert so its probably correct.

I love the idea of a sctional model which pulls the focus more onto the crew than the vehicle. As for the tracks I can't give you much in the way of advice. Just do what is comfortable for you.

Cheers, John
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 03:49 AM UTC
Maybe the reason for so little feedback is that he is doing an awesome job and most people are a little intimidated?
I would like to see some clearer,more close up pics though?
J
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC
John, Jerry: thanks for the observations. I nomaly don't post to this site(I'm a figure guy). So I wasn't expecting any feedback. I'll be sure to post any progress shot to this site. John I believe your right about the Sherman, but don't have anything to compare it with, just and scale drawing and a proportional divider. Jerry thanks. At this stage of the build it's hard to see the detail, because of the multi colors of the sprue. I'll work on getting some better shots soon. What strikes me as odd is nobody's asked how do you make figures and accsessories out of something most modellers trow away.
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 09:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What strikes me as odd is nobody's asked how do you make figures and accsessories out of something most modellers trow away.

Now that you mention it Anthony. I'm only just starting to enter the realm of figure modification so any pointers would be excellent. I did notice that all your figures look modified which adds to their natural relaxed look. I keep all the extras from kits and a lot of sprue but sadly for me I normally can't look past what the bits are and can't see an alternative use. I have bought a couple of books on the subject but they only go so far. So please share your wisdom.

Cheers, John

Jerry, I was in the same frame of mind as to the workmanship and I was also guilty of not offering when I first saw Anthony's thread but I do believe that critiquing is a good tool for everyone. Good or bad lets you know what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. I like reading these threads as I can learn from what is right and wrong. I was told in Afghanistan by American Mentors that knowledge is power and only those who are corrupt will keep it for themselves as sharing knowledge weakens your control over those who don't have it.
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
That is some great work, I also want to try mixing up parts to make my own figures!! Can’t wait to see some paint on them! What kind of ground work are u planning on using!
Regards,
:)
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 03:54 PM UTC
Here are some new pictures of the primed piece. I hope they show the details better. The figure sitting on top is wounderring why this half starved dog won't eat his wifes cookies.
John: I've done several how to post. I'll try and get them together for you. These aren't modified figure. They are all orginal works, but they are done on the same principle as modified: I start with a basic figure and work it to the finished pose

Valdimir: Thanks for your kind words. I'm not sure about the base yet. For me this was an excersize in sclupting figures with open jackets. I'll use the faux marble base used in the about pictures.

callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 07:58 PM UTC
Hi,
I'm really curious about your sculpting technique. Is there any chance of a full SBS so we can see how you use the sprues.
Nice wedgie by the way!
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
Callmehobbs: sure, if no one objects I'll do one ,posting in the figures portion of the site. I,m planning something 1/16th just because the scale shows up better, (My picture taking abilities are some what lacking). Will get on it soon
 _GOTOTOP