_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
scratching wheels 2
MMB
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 06:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies on my previous posting. The casting of wheels is a good idea for most wheel. But it leaves me with a problem; wheels for which I don't have any masters because they are too big for example.
So how do I scratch wheels (rims and especially tires) ? I do have some drawings and pictures from the original.

Thanks in advance,
Marc
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:11 PM UTC
Marc you can basically scratchbuild whatever you wish using lots of different materials ranging from plastc to wood, from metal to epoxy putty, and so on. The choice depends on what "technology" is available to you for your project. A lathe and a milling machine (I've got mine yesterday) can help quite a lot specially to do the rims and the basic work on the tires.
If you wish you can have a look at Proops brothers: they sell "raw" wheels that for further modification can be easily (quite easily actually) finished using epoxy putty and plasticard bits.
Going further on explaining the whole process for all the possible solutions will be too long, so I kept it as short as possible. Pse feel free to contact me if you need nore specific ifo related to a specific method...
Ciao
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
There are different ways to make wheels.
The first and easiest way is to use a lathe. Of course most of us don't have one at our disposal, so you can do either one of two things :
- find a location to use someone else's (try a local garage, technical school, ...) Best is to use a lathe for metal works, not one for wood works. You can best 'turn" your wheel from a piece of resin. Once you have the basic structure, make a resin copy, and work on tire profile and other details on the copy. If all goes wrong, you don't have to start all over again !

- find an alternative solution, which brings us to the second method : layered approach

You can make ANY form by assembling it layer by layer. To make a wheel, cut a circle of the right size from plasticard. Use a compass with sharp point or knife blade for this. Make several of these, and make a "sandwich" by glueing them all together till they form the right thickness. It takes a lot of precision and some experience, but it works. Once you have the first wheel, make a resin copy, and work forther on that for details such as rivets and hubs, tire threads, etc...

It's a helluva job, but it works.
Jan
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:20 AM UTC
To add to what Jan has said, If you have a decent Dremel tool (not the Mini-Mite) You can try chucking it up in there to act as a sort of mini lathe. This way you can make sure it is perfectly round. Cut the basic shape out first, drill your center and use the bit that normally would hold the buffing wheel pad. This method takes a little prctice, but then again so does using a real lathe.

By the way, if you want to find a lathe cheap, Micro-mark has a wordworking mini lathe for $99. It should be suitable for turning plastic stock, but anything harder might give it trouble, although it says it can be used with hardwood. Visit http://www.micro-mark.com for details.

Rob
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
hi , a friend of mine makes all his masters for wheels from plastic buttons , as the hardest part is done for you , the circle and correct dia , he will sandwich two or more together with super glue to get the right thickness , and by inverting one against the other , he can create convext or concave wheel , then add the hub and studs and carve the tyre pattern , job done , hope this helps cheers ian
 _GOTOTOP