_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
REVIEW
SAS Platoon Leader
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:39 PM UTC
Another treat for modern military guys. Mario Matijasic takes a look at one of the more recent Nato in Miniatures releases - the SAS Platoon Leader, hopefully the first in the line of many figures [Brit-001]

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 09:12 PM UTC
The figure looks great, always worries me a bit tho' when manufacturers get basic information wrong.

No such thing as an SAS Platoon, they are called Troops. Maybe a small thing but with figures this small the devil is in the detail.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 09:17 PM UTC
I know what you mean... The "Platoon Leader" probably came from the picture I attached which served as a sculpting template.

Mario
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hi Mario,

The figure does look very nice, it is very close to the photograph, but doesn't represent a true SAS Trooper. The figure is not wearing the Combat 95 pattern trousers as these trousers don't have the reinforced seat panel. The Woolen Pullover was rarely worn by members of the SAS who frequently wear Smocks or combat jackets, helmets are always worn on offensive ops.

As Scott has already mentioned the Regiment is divided into Squadrons and Troops. Ops in Iraq have offically ended and the SAS and SBS both operate in Afghanistan.

All SF operators now wear improved armour/plate carriers and in the past there have been photographs of SF operators wearing the Molle load vests. There are very few confirmed photograhs of UKSF on operations where the the operator can be identified. There are serious penalties for those UKSF personnel who now speak or release information to the public domain.

Regards

Brian

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 07:21 PM UTC
Brian, thanks for the info. I did notice the reinforced seat, but figured this could be the custom modification of S95 similar to US SF field modifications of BDU. I think Dmitri based this figure on a picture of an airsofter posing as SAS Trooper which is obviously not completely correct...

With all the new info, perhaps this figure would be better used as PMC?

Mario
brian638
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hi Mario,

I think he would make a very good PMC, he needs a helmet for offensive ops to portray an UKSF. I think that the figure companies need to be mindful when looking at photographs. Airsofters don't wear body armour they might wear the plate carrier they won't wear the plates as they are incredibly heavy.

We need a set of heads with the modern helmets fitted with NVGs, for figure conversions etc. Although I think that the Shemagh is exceptionally well moulded.

Regards

Brian
gogs007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 313 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 06:12 AM UTC

We need a set of heads with the modern helmets fitted with NVGs, for figure conversions etc. Although I think that the Shemagh is exceptionally well moulded.

if you check out the slide show on the live resin website there are photos of heads with nvg on them
brian638
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi Gogs,

I've seen the head sets that will be released by Live Resin, these sets are based on US style equipment. I am still after UK style heads with PRR.

Regards

Brian
 _GOTOTOP