_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
SA-2 on MAZ 537
blackwoodie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi everybody !!

Ok, this can sound weird but I want to know if a SA-2 guideline missile could be transport and fired from a MAZ 357 truck, could this be possible ??

If so it will be fired from a transport launch trailer or from a flatbed in the rear of the cabin (like in the MAZ cargo version, the one whith no trailer).

Thanks and best regards !!

Blackwoodie
juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
It is not possible.
The launchers are the wheels.
Towing capacity, but must be installed before starting the stand, as an anti-aircraft cannon.
Maintain a horizontal position, fine.
The Missiles and carrier filling (TZM), or delivery vehicle, can come disassembled.

The mobile equivalent of the Sa-4 Ganef.
juge75
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:56 AM UTC

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:53 AM UTC
Betillo,,, Anything is possible in the model world mate looking at the missile and its launcher you would need to extend the length of the Maz's chassis to be able to carry the launcher assembly ,,you would need some sort of out rigger to support the missile when its in a firing position as it is 10,600 mm (420 in) long , so its got a pretty good over hang .. the weight is not a problem as it only weights in at 2,300 kg (5,100 lb) ,,the truck can carry that weight without a problem ,,the blast deflector can be still used but you will need to mount hydraulic rams it so it can be lifted out of the way for transport ,don't forget to put armour plate over the rams and hoses to protect it from the missiles engine back blast ,,all in all not that hard to do .. a form of clamp would be needed to hold the missile in place when its being transported ..something like the system used on the Scud missile launcher would work nicely ..its would take some careful thinking but it can be done ..the design of the clamps would have to fold completely out of the way because of the fins on this missile are quite large but thats not hard to figure out ,,you have me thinking now mate ,,this sounds pretty cool and right up my alley

Cheers

Phill
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 03:38 AM UTC
If the Cubans can mount them on old T-55 chassis I am not sure why they could not be mounted on a MAZ...would take a bit of work to make them usable, but I think it is possible, theoretically.

Ask some Libyians how they would do it. They put a BMP-1 turret on a Toyota using only 2x4's, so they can do darn near anything!
juge75
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC
Indeed.
But it is not the type Trumpeter SA-2 version.
The Trumpeter of the early V-750 Dvina (11D Missile) and launch pad (SM-63), the Cuban T-54/55 chassis and the newer V755 Volhov is (5JA23 or 20DSZU Missile) and launch pad (SM-90).
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 05:38 PM UTC
Hey Juhász ,, whats the differences between those two systems ? if need be i'll modify the hell out of something to get it to fit
blackwoodie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 03:46 PM UTC
Thanks for the help guys !!

Sorry for the late repply I have been problems with my internet conection these days ..

Jacques as you mentioned I,ve seen a lot of pictures with soviet equipment mounted in non ordinary vehicles used by the libyans and others rebel forces around africa, and also I,ve seen a Phalanx system mounted on a US HEMTT, that´s why I ask about the maz and the sa-2.

I think that this would be more a what if model than a real one but anyway so Juhász I only know the trumperter model for the sa-2 don´t know if there are another company that makes the right model nedded for this "what if" if not what modifications do you think are needed to make this, or maybe use the trailer version to adapt it as a launching plataform ??

Thanks again

Blackwoodie
 _GOTOTOP