_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
interesting gift from the mother in law
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC
My girlfriend's Mum gave me some old figures a while back, a whole bunch of Airfix 54mm plastic ones, as well as some Hinchcliffe metal ones, and some unknown ones that date back to the early seventies. I have never had much interest before in the "old" uniforms but this has piqued my interest...but how on earth does one join metal figures? Epoxy? CA ? Gator Glue?
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 02:53 PM UTC
Hi Julian,

I remember back when figures were made of white metal(?) before the rise of resin. I recall that all of your suggested glues were used although I don't know what Gator Glue is. I would say that any glue that can be used on metal would be the go. Epoxy might be the better option over CA for its strength.

Cheers, John
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC
Hey Julian .... assembled alot of figures from Warhammer 40k for friends and mostly white metal .. CA or super glue works very very well and sets many times faster than epoxy ..epoxy is hell of alot stronger but takes its time to set and if ya get it a little cock eyed then its a bugger to get apart ..I use Delta and Zap the most and this works great ,,no problems at all ,,a good idea is to use a CA setter to get it to harden super fast or just stuff it in water ..not that clean but same result
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 06:48 PM UTC
One of the best glues I have found is Helmar 450, glues anything to anything and give a good bond but does not dry too quick. Dries clear but remains flexible which can be useful.

It will even glue patches onto clothing and can be machine washed.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC
I too have done a lost of Warhammer figures. I found superglue works the best. However, I never tried epoxy.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 01:13 PM UTC
thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll try a nice strong CA.
 _GOTOTOP