_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
'Casualties of War'
Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi everyone......

Just wanted to share with you my newest dio, just completed.
It's pretty much inspired by MK35, & they're 'dead cow'. Decided to couple that with they're 'Normandy Wall', & perplexed farmer guy to create the scene. I had Tamiya's German Horch 1A mit 2cm Flak38 that I'd made a long time ago, so decided to put it all together.

I re-sprayed the Horch & gun, added filter, chips & weathering. The figures were all re-painted too, adding afew new Hornet heads. Although my face painting still needs alot of work, the Hornet ones do add more character. I filled the back of the Horch with the usual clutter.

The guy peeing on the tree is Verlinden. Was abit worried about painting the cow, wanting to try not to make it 'toy like'. But after giving it a wash with diluted oil paints, & adding MIG pigments it came out ok. The field is a mixture of static grass, moss, weeds from outside & scatter. The tree was a branch, with added twigs to fill it out abit. The whole lot was coated with liquid plaster, & painted. Wire wool was stretched out over the top & airbrushed green. the leaves are dried mint, "clinging on" with diluted glue & hairspray.

Decided to have a go at using Photostudio to put the photo's in a realistic enviroment. After alot of trial & error they came out pretty well Was abit worried about MK35's wall, and that the back part wasn't scribed with the brick. So decided to make it part of the farm, with a plastered wall, & all the neccessary jumble of a farmyard.

Thanks to all for looking.
Please leave me any feedback or comments, they'd be much appreciated!!

Cheers for now,
SIMON.
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi,

Nice dio, I really like the tree it’s really nice I also like the way u gave the diorama a background!! If my criticize something, the cow’s leg sticking up doesn’t really convey that it’s dead!

Regards,
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi Simon,

congrats on this dio- I like it. There's certainly plenty to see and I think you have all the figures interacting very nicely, particularly the soldiers walking past the dead cow and looking at it. Personally my favourite bit is the guy taking a crafty leak against the tree- great stuff! I also like the way you've got some clutter behind the wall instead og leaving it a blank space- I think its quite important to clutter up areas like that. Like Vladimir I think the cows leg in the air looks a bit strange considering it is supposed to be dead but it looks like it was moulded that way and there's no much you can really do about that without some major surgery on it.

Cheers,

Karl187
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hey Simon, great looking dio. Every thing seems to inter act well. I really like the farmer, fits the story very well. As far as the cow goes, if it has been dead awhile, rigamortise will set in and the gas in the body will make parts move up/down, in/out. There are many pictures of dead cows in the Normandy campaign that show this. I would not worry about it too much as it looks the part according to pictures. Great that you filled the back of the wall with clutter and scribed the face. A good dio where the story is told without having to guess at it.
Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi guys....... thanks for the comments!!

The cow is moulded in that way, the set came in 4 or 5 parts. I originally looked up some reference photos on the net, & they're were quite afew of dead cows in that pose, some even more rigid.
The guy taking a leak was part of 2 from Verlinden's set 'Things to do', which add alittle humour to the proceedings. Felt it was important to keep the back of the wall busy, & as detailed as the rest of the scene, keeping it all 'flowing. Just made up with spare bits & pieces & the odd scratch built item.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply guys!!

SIMON.
 _GOTOTOP