_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
m51 muzzle brake help
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hi guys

Hoping you can help me. In my research for the various models I'm going to do Robert Mansherob makes mention of the Dagem Alef m51 sherman that consisted of the continental engine, early type stowage, a basic travel lock, the infantry telephone on the r rear plate jerry cans on the l and the stowage shelf in the middle.... He also makes mention of an early / initial type muzzle brake... here in lies the question what does this muzzle brake look like is it the same as seen on other m51 or different i have seen photos of the vehicle in question in Tom Gannons book pg 100-101 form the rear but no barrel pictrures please help me. I get the feelling i am chasing a ghost and am looking for things that just arent there but some help woulde be greatly appreciated TIA
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 05:51 AM UTC
Early

Late

SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 12:13 PM UTC
Hi
Yes as I mention in my book Lioness & Lion of the Line vol 1 that deal with early M50 and M51 tanks, this was Degem Alef of the M51 tank.
The Muzzle brake as you can see in the book is the first type and is simple one, it lacks all the more massive weld lines as well the additional metal plates in the central part that make him stronger and more robust.
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.sabingamartin.com
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 12:49 PM UTC
Tony mate thank you for the pictures and Robert once again thank you for your assistence and great book as always gentleman appreciated.... Now off to see who/which company models that early muzzle brake so i can use it again thanks guys...................... Actually they look the same size wise the early is just missing the middle bracing so to speak i should be able to modify the Accurate Armour muzzle brake what do you think guys does that sound feesible
Andy120
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 04:52 PM UTC
Patiently waiting for vol.2

Andy
NZ
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually they look the same size wise the early is just missing the middle bracing so to speak i should be able to modify the Accurate Armour muzzle brake what do you think guys does that sound feesible

Yes. It would appear that removing the central gusset plate and the associated welds on the transverse baffle plates should do the job nicely.

Paul
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 09:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the help Paul mate appreciated i have done some minor work and it seems we are right . Andy I agree mate I cant wait for Vol 2 either
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 08:32 AM UTC
Thanks you all
The vol 2 is kicking and hope to have it soon ready for print
You will have plenty new M50 and M51 builds from there as well.

Yes remove the weld lines and the central part,
Robert

Dr. Robert Manasherob
www.sabingamartin.com
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
Look forward to it Robert
 _GOTOTOP