_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Shermans & personal kit
squisher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi guys. I have the Tamiya M4A3 75mm Sherman (kit no.35250) and it includes a number of personal items with which the exterior of the tank can be adorned. Can anyone please tell me how rucksacks etc were attached to the turret. Do I need to add some kind of rail or hooks? Thanks in anticipation.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 07:17 AM UTC
Many tanks had horizontal bars welded to the sides and rear of the turret so bags could be hung from them. (Kinda like handrails in appearance.) When the MG stowage brackets started appearing on later builds, these were also used to hang kit bags...

They're easy to make from thin brass wire.

Tom
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 07:19 AM UTC
Paul, the were normally attached pretty much every way you can imagine. They may have welded brackets from a field work shop or just used rope or the straps from the gear to tie to anything they could. Of course the rear deck and tray on the back plate were popular for piling up stuff and roping down. It is also very common to see a board in between the front fenders holding all ends of junk on the front plate.
squisher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 12:14 PM UTC
Thanks for that guys. I've been looking for photos but not found any showing rails or hooks yet. I'll look in earnest to see if I can get some definitive indications re size and placement. If not I'll just do what looks right. I'm not a bolt counter!
 _GOTOTOP